Intellectual property has spurred business development while simultaneously creating a potential minefield of legal battles and entanglements. The multifaceted process of identifying, protecting, defending, maximizing and enforcing intellectual property rights requires a multidisciplinary approach, and JMBM has the broad-based experience needed to deliver results.
JMBM's Intellectual Property Group represents entrepreneurs, family-owned businesses, middle-market companies, startups, universities and the FORTUNE 500. JMBM is recognized by U.S. News & World Report / Best Law Firms® with a Metropolitan First-Tier Ranking (Los Angeles) for Trademark Law. Our approach is aggressive and efficient, and we keep a keen focus on helping clients achieve their goals.
Our IP lawyers handle patents, trademarks, copyrights, domain names, trade dress, trade secrets, and related licensing and litigation. We have significant experience handling unfair competition matters as well as the full range of IP issues that surround the internet. Our representation spans the industrial spectrum with issues such as individual name and likeness and products ranging from apparel, games and cosmetics to medical devices, pharmaceuticals and digital media content.
The Group's attorneys are well-versed in a wide variety of technologies and processes, including: chemistry/chemical engineering, biotechnology, materials science, software and apps, medical and dental devices, electronics, mechanical engineering, gambling devices such as card shufflers, business methods, e-commerce and many others. Moreover, the Group's attorneys can draw on the expertise of other JMBM attorneys and paralegals throughout the Firm's Corporate and Litigation practices, and also have skills in a variety of languages.
JMBM has represented clients in a wide range of intellectual property matters, including:
- Litigating patent, trademark, copyright right of publicity and trade secret cases, including State and Federal court trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals
- Litigating re-examinations including ex parte and inter partes
- Litigating post-grant patent proceedings
- Trademark development, registration and protection
- Auditing companies for IP protection
- Performing and managing U.S. and international trademark, copyright and patent searches, filings, prosecution and oppositions
- Consulting on domestic and international trademark usage, marketing, licensing and franchising
- Rendering patentability, validity and freedom to operate opinions
- Implementing domestic and international enforcement and anti-counterfeiting programs
- Negotiating, preparing and enforcing license agreements
- Analyzing ownership and chain-of-title issues relating to works protected by copyright
- Negotiating, preparing and enforcing confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements
- Negotiating, preparing and enforcing joint development agreements
- Managing domestic and international trademark portfolios
- Managing and documenting the purchase and sale of intellectual property assets domestically and internationally
- Negotiating asset purchase agreements involving intellectual property assets
- Advising Boards of Directors relating to intellectual property policy issues
- Advising and counseling on advertising internet and fair use issues
Recognized for their expertise by their peers and the media, our IP lawyers have been designated as Best Lawyers in America™ (including as "Lawyer of the Year" in Trademark Law), Southern California Super Lawyers™, have been included on lists of the "30 Top Intellectual Property Attorneys in California" and "Top 75 Intellectual Property Litigators" in the Daily Journal, and the "Top 100 Attorneys in Los Angeles" and "Who's Who in LA Law: Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law" by the Los Angeles Business Journal. The media frequently calls on us to explain the significance of court decisions, and we have been quoted by Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Thomson Reuters, American Lawyer, National Law Journal, ABA Journal, Los Angeles Daily Journal and other publications.
JMBM's Intellectual Property Group draws on decades of experience to provide the Firm's clients with creative, bottom-line solutions. We share our clients' sense of urgency, and take a deep interest in their business issues -- regardless of the size or scope. Please call on us to discuss how we can help.