Susan Allison handles diverse, complex business litigation matters, including intellectual property, defendants’ professional liability, shareholder disputes, anti-SLAPP, class action defense and entertainment litigation, as well as appellate matters involving all of the above.
Equally at home in federal and state trial courts, and experienced in trials, arbitrations and appellate issues, Susan identifies her clients' litigation objectives early on and develops strategies designed to achieve those objectives efficiently and effectively.
Representative Matters include:
- Represented major law firm in arbitration of professional liability claims arising from negotiation of tax protection agreement in complex corporate transaction.
- Defended national law firm against malpractice claims arising from international corporate restructuring transaction and subsequent tax audit.
- Ongoing representation of national law firms in defending against professional negligence claims.
- Represented defendant global professional services company in actuarial malpractice action relating to retiree healthcare fund; summary judgment in client's favor affirmed on appeal.
- Represented defendant major actuarial consulting firm in federal court action alleging misrepresentation in connection with defense contractor's acquisition of defense-related assets and liabilities; case settled favorably after summary judgment granted in client's favor.
- Represented defendant global professional services company in federal court class action suit alleging actuarial malpractice in connection with spin-off of corporate pension plan.
- Co-counsel for plaintiff in four-week jury trial alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against business adviser/accountant, resulting in $6.5 million verdict, including punitive damages. Judgment later ruled non-dischargeable in accountant's bankruptcy.
- Represented actress plaintiff in trial court and on appeal in defeating anti-SLAPP motion relating principally to breach of contract claims.
- Represented hospital defendant in trial court and on appeal in anti-SLAPP motion relating to physician peer review.
- Represented major auto manufacturer defendant in successful anti-SLAPP motion and appeal.
- Represented petitioner trustee in will contest on appeal from probate court’s denial of anti-SLAPP motion.
- Represented defendant law firm in appeal of court’s directed verdict in favor of law firm client.
- Represented defendant law firm in successful appeal from denial of motion to compel arbitration.
- Represented Conservator for elderly parent on Pro Bono basis in connection with four separate appeals pursued by disgruntled family member.
- Co-counsel for motion picture studio and producer plaintiff in copyright, trademark and trade secret lawsuit relating to rights to major motion picture franchise; preliminary injunction upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented major recording artist, her producers and recording company in copyright infringement lawsuit; obtained dismissal sanctions against plaintiff prior to trial, which were upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained TRO and preliminary injunction against prominent sporting goods company for trademark infringement, resulting in prompt, favorable settlement.
- Represented generic drug distributor in trade dress infringement and false advertising lawsuit brought by competing brand name manufacturer; summary judgment in client's favor affirmed on appeal.
- Represented professional sports league in Sherman Act antitrust litigation, SDNY.
- Represented nationwide health and fitness club in defending consumer class action, including successful appeal of trial court's denial of class certification.
Susan also represents clients in a diverse mix of shareholder, partnership and corporate disputes.
More about Susan on the Women Lawyers of JMBM page.
J.D., University of California Hastings College of the Law, 1979
B.A., Stanford University, 1975
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of California
Member, Appellate Court Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- 2020 Recipient of Public Counsel’s Pro Bono Award, Women’s and Girls’ Rights Project
- Member, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, volume 6, 1979
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Wiley W. Manuel, California Supreme Court