Jon Weininger is a trial and appeals lawyer with substantial experience litigating complex business, commercial, construction, intellectual property, real estate, and trust and estate matters. He has won numerous judgments and awards, and obtained all forms of provisional and injunctive remedies for his clients, who range from individuals, real estate developers and owners, banks and other lenders, trustees and trust beneficiaries, private and publicly-traded corporations, and limited liability companies. Apart from achieving successful outcomes for clients in contested matters, Jon actively counsels his clients on strategies to avoid or minimize disputes altogether, and he has extensive expertise negotiating favorable resolutions in an efficient and cost-effective manner.Representative Experience
- Acted as lead counsel in obtaining defense arbitration award, including attorneys' fees and costs, in a mining rights dispute after a four-day binding arbitration where the claimant sought over $5.5 million in damages against Jon's client.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud lawsuit against real estate developer client. The trial court awarded attorneys' fees and costs to the client, and agreed to amend the judgment to add the plaintiff-company's officers as alter ego judgment debtors. The matter was affirmed on appeal (Goldenpark, LLC v. Urban Commons, LLC, et al., 2015 WL 5146159).
- For bank client, won summary judgment to defeat borrower’s fraud case.
- For trustee of family trust, won summary judgment in real estate dispute.
- Successfully represented homeowner in a forged deed case where the client was the victim of a complex criminal fraud scheme. In addition to restoring title for the client, Jon facilitated a reversal of a property tax re-assessment that occurred when the forged deed was recorded.
- Successfully represented buyers and sellers of real estate in residential and commercial transactions involving various disputed matters, including non-disclosure and fraud, non-performance of contractual obligations, 1031 like-kind exchange issues, encroachment and title issues, construction defect and subsidence issues, and broker disputes.
- Successfully represented sand and aggregate mining companies in various real property and mining rights disputes.
- Represented buyers of custom-built, beach-front home in a multi-party construction defect litigation matter under the Right to Repair Act, involving substantial water intrusion defects and other issues. Obtained favorable settlement for client that included reimbursement of all repair costs and attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully represented clients in trademark infringement, false advertising and unfair competition, copyright infringement, trade secret, and related intellectual property matters in federal court and before the TTAB.
- Successfully represented brokers, broker-dealers, investment advisers, and private investors in NASD and FINRA arbitrations.
J.D., Whittier Law School, 2001
summa cum laude (graduated 1st in full-time day class)
B.A., California State University, Long Beach, 1996
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Gregory O'Brien, Los Angeles Superior Court, 1999
- Finalist, Saul Lefkowitz Trademark and Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition, Washington D.C., 2001