As an experienced trial attorney, Travis Gemoets represents management in all facets of labor and employment law, including wage/hour class actions, claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, trade secrets and unfair competition, union/management relations and workplace violence.
He is a member of JMBM's Global Hospitality Group®, in which capacity he negotiates union contracts and resolves labor disputes throughout the country, defends class action claims, develops strategies for the mass onboarding and separation of employees, and recommends proactive changes to employers' policies and practices in order to minimize potential liability risks.
Travis advises employers nationwide on these areas as well as on disability and religious accommodation, protected absences, personnel policies and handbooks, employee discipline and discharge, and labor relations. He lectures and consults in these areas and on other employment-related matters.
Travis has appeared before federal courts in California, Minnesota, Texas, and Illinois; state appellate courts and the Ninth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals.
He also has extensive experience with administrative agencies such as the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and the United States Department of Labor.Representative Experience
- Trial counsel in numerous state and federal employment law matters including nationwide class actions, multi-party and single plaintiff discrimination, harassment, unfair competition, whistleblower retaliation claims, and workplace violence/stalking prevention actions
- California labor and employment counsel to regional and nationwide employers in hospitality, hospital/health care, retail, manufacturing, technology, home office, and service industries
- Successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to affirm preliminary injunction enforcing covenant not to compete
J.D., UC College of the Law, San Francisco (Formerly UC Hastings), 1994
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
with honors, Political Science
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California
Member, American Business Trial Lawyers Association and CA State Bar Labor & Employment Section
- Board Member, Hastings Moot Court, 1993-94
- Appellate and Trial Advocacy Programs, 1992-94
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Selected as a Rising Star of Southern California Law 2005-08 by the publishers of Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine
- Hotel Lawyer Labor & Employment New Year Round-Up: What to Expect in 2022 27 December 2021 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest on labor and employment guidance. Labor &
- California hotel workers laid off due to COVID-19 get rehire rights 27 April 2021 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest on labor and employment guidance. As coronavirus