Sarah Hartman is a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation Group. Sarah advises and represents clients through all aspects of litigation, from inception through trial and appeal. She represents clients in complex commercial disputes, including entertainment disputes, defamation, unfair competition, products liability, employment litigation, class action defense, false advertising, securities litigation and other complex financial disputes.
Sarah also has extensive experience representing clients in patent, copyright, trademark, and trade secret disputes in federal district courts and appellate courts in the United States, as well as in Section 337 investigations in the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and in appeals from decisions of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Sarah has litigated patent cases involving a broad range of technologies, including computer networking, LED panels and LED lights, automotive audio technology, mobile systems and applications, map-based communication technology and internet services and systems.
In addition, Sarah is dedicated to improving the lives of women through representing clients in the women's health technology market, FemTech, recently publishing on the topic in The Patent Lawyer.
Sarah is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as “One to Watch" in Intellectual Property Litigation, as well as by Southern California Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation. Sarah graduated magna cum laude from the University of Southern California, and received her J.D. Order of the Coif from Vanderbilt University Law School, where she served as a managing editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review.Representative Experience:
- Representation of owner of a large portfolio of computer networking patents in multiple lawsuits in the Western District of Texas.
- Representation of founder and CEO of nonproﬁt animal rights organization in her claim of trademark infringement against a well-funded competitor.
- Representation of a company that develops and sells automotive interface products in its claim of infringement of patents concerning wireless connectivity for audio and multimedia integration systems against the world’s largest automotive manufacturers and suppliers.
- Representation of domestic manufacturer and inventor of technologies relating to LED display panels and LED lights in a patent infringement campaign in the ITC and Eastern District of Texas against mostly foreign competitors.
- Representation of a technology services company and its President in an action against the company’s former Vice President of Operations for misappropriation of trade secrets, conversion, breach of ﬁduciary duty, and breach of contract.
- Representation of a software company in its claim of infringement of patents concerning software-enabled functionality of location services against some of the world’s largest consumer technology and electronics companies.
- Representation of one of the nation’s largest television and radio audience measurement companies in a multimillion-dollar litigation against a famous radio personality and his company, involving claims of fraud, conspiracy, unfair business practices, and tortious interference, and counterclaims of conspiracy, tortious interference, and unfair business practices.
- Representation of several major motion picture studios in the successful defense of putative national consumer class action litigations. The cases were won on motions to dismiss.
- Representation of major country music star and televised shopping network in the successful defense of a litigation asserting Lanham Act claims (trademark infringement and dilution) and unfair competition. The case was won on a motion to dismiss. The case was covered by Law360.
- Representation of a multinational media conglomerate in an arbitration involving a ﬁlm ﬁnancing dispute with a New York hedge fund, which resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Representation of the BVI Liquidator of the Fairﬁeld Funds (the largest feeder funds into the Madoff Ponzi scheme) in the Funds’ Chapter 15 case in Bankruptcy Court in New York, including the prosecution of over 300 clawback actions commenced by the foreign liquidator and the Funds against certain of the Funds’ redeemers. The clawback actions seek the return to the Funds of over $6 billion in overpaid redemptions.
- Representation of a global corporate apparel manufacturer in defense of a mass tort / products liability litigation, resulting in favorable settlements for the client.
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2011
Order of the Coif
B.A., University of Southern California, 2008
magna cum laude
State Bar of New York
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
2023 Secretary/Treasurer for the OCBA Entertainment, Sports & Marketing Law Section
New York State Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America (and Southern California), Ones to Watch, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2021
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2022 & 2023
- Selected for IAM’s Patent 1000 2022 Edition for Litigation, California and New York
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2023
- Selected for IAM's Patent 1000 2023 Edition for Litigation, California