Ryan D. Nowicki is an experienced business and tax attorney whose practice focuses on domestic and international tax planning, tax controversies (including tax audits, appeals, and litigation), business structuring and complex business transactions (including sales, mergers and acquisitions, and 1031 like-kind exchanges), and nonprofit tax-exempt organization law. Ryan also serves as outside general counsel to a number of businesses and nonprofit organizations in the Los Angeles region.
Since the start of his legal career, Ryan has served in government and on the boards of civic and charitable organizations, a tradition of service that continues today. Ryan currently serves as the Chairperson of the Exempt Organizations Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association as well as the President of the Hermosa Friends Foundation.Noteworthy
- Received the prestigious award of being named the City of Hermosa Beach 2017 “Man of the Year” for generously donating his time and resources to making Hermosa Beach a better place through his work with civic and nonprofit organizations in the community
- Hermosa Friends Foundation (Co-founder with his wife – philanthropy organization)
- Leadership Hermosa Beach (former three-term President, Director and Class Facilitator)
- Hermosa Beach Police Department “Community Police Advisory Board” (former Co-Chair along with the Chief of Police)
- Hermosa Beach City School District “Facilities Planning Advisory Committee” (former appointed Member)
- Recent pro bono efforts: forming and obtaining tax exemptions for several non-profit organizations, including the nation’s largest week-long free medical clinic, a local sheriffs’ department fundraising foundation, an environmental research organization, two coastal conservancy organizations, a food distribution organization for the poor, a pet rescue and adoption organization, an emergency communications organization, and an arts education organization.
- Achieved the designation of being an “Accredited Professional” under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (“LEED”) program administered by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Selected as one of only six graduate law students in the U.S. to present at an international tax conference in Paris, France with representatives from several nations of the European Union (2004)
- Member, Appellate Moot Court Board (1999-2000)
- Articles Editor for the Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues (1999-2000)
- Inducted into the Phi Delta Phi international legal fraternity, an honor granted only to those who are recognized for maintaining the highest standard of professional ethics
LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 2000
B.A., SUNY Buffalo, 1997
U.S. Tax Court
Chairperson, Exempt Organizations Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
California Lawyers Association, Taxation Section (Member)