Bob represents clients in corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, financing, franchising, licensing, joint ventures and strategic alliances, with an emphasis on hospitality and on new and emerging technologies.
As Co-Chair of the JMBM Cybersecurity and Privacy Group, Bob counsels clients on privacy and security, information technology, software development and licensing, and electronic commerce transactions. He is the co-author of the Cybersecurity Lawyer Forum blog, and lectures frequently on technology issues. He is one of only two attorneys in the Southern California listing of Super Lawyers to be recognized for expertise in Information Technology.
As a senior member of JMBM's Global Hospitality Group, Bob specializes in the negotiation of hotel management and franchise agreements, the acquisition and divestiture of hotels, resorts, restaurants and other hospitality properties, hotel and hospitality workouts and turnarounds, and ongoing operating issues of hospitality properties. Bob is a frequent author and lecturer on hospitality issues.Representative Experience
- Counseling a variety of companies, including Fortune 1000 companies, on breach notification requirements
- Representing cloud-based software licensors
- Designing privacy and security compliance programs for non-profit companies, professional service providers, financial providers and Internet-based companies
- Advising hotel owners on enhancing relationships with hotel managers and brands.
- Designing management structures for boutique hotel brands
- Negotiation of licensing and service agreements for Internet-based software service programs
- Negotiation of hotel management agreement for a portfolio of 29 hotels throughout the United States
- Negotiation and closing of a foreign investment in a hotel fund covering 10 hotels in the Southeastern United States
- Advising a hotel management company in the divestiture of a portfolio of branded hotel properties
- Representation of a high technology manufacturer in a series of strategic acquisitions
- Establishment of a hotel brand based on sustainable energy principles, including LEED certification
- Negotiation of a five-star mixed-use hotel development project, including a hotel, condominiums, luxury residences, retail and office space in Dallas, Texas
- Negotiating the purchase and sale of multiple companies, including manufacturers, financial services providers, entertainment companies and medical practices
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 1981
A.B., University of California, Berkeley, 1978
with highest honors
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Editorial Board of the California Business Law News, a publication of the State Bar Business Law Section
Franchise Law Committee, State Bar of California
Advisory Board, Information Systems Security Association, Los Angeles Chapter
International Association of Privacy Professionals
Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association; Cyberspace Committee, Banking Law Committee
American Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Operation Hope, Inc.
Hurdle Jumpers, Inc.
Frequent lecturer on securities, information technology challenges, legal challenges facing emerging businesses, and hotel and hospitability issues
Chair, 33rd Annual Securities Regulation Seminar, Los Angeles County Bar Association, October 2000
Chair, Business & Corporations Sections, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 1997-1998
Executive Board of Judges, Moot Court Honors Program, UCLA
National Order of Barristers, UCLA
- Rated AV by Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized as one of Los Angeles Magazine's Southern California's Best Lawyers, 2008-2012
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer, 2004, 2008-2018
- What is Blockchain Good For? Here are some guidelines. Welcome to the third article in our series of blogs about blockchain technology and its impact on business practices, corporate governance and
- The Four Horsemen of Cryptocurrencies: Volatility, criminal activity, security issues, and human error Welcome to the second article in our series of blogs about blockchain technology and its impact on business practices, corporate governance and
- The Current Landscape of Cybersecurity Law as it Relates to Small Businesses
- Why companies need a cybersecurity training program
- First steps to take when there's a data breach at your company
- Cybersecurity for Middle Market Companies
- Impact of international privacy laws on U.S. companies
- Mike Cahill answers, “Where are we in the current hospitality cycle?” Global Hospitality Group®
- Bill Sipple discusses hospitality market activity and interest rates - Meet the Money® conference
- Deric Eubanks talks about the hottest hospitality segments for investors - Meet the Money®
- Bill Blackham discusses new hotel supply and assets for sale - Meet the Money®
- 27th Annual Meet the Money® Conference
- In-House Attorneys and Cybersecurity: The Ethical Duties of Confidentiality and Competence in Uncharted Territory
- JMBM Alumni Webinar: Cybersecurity and Data Breach Issues in Merger and Acquisition Transactions.
- 25th Annual Meet the Money® Conference
- LACBA: Evolving Legal and Business Issues Regarding Privacy and Data Security
- Up on Cyber Conference
- Risk Management Roundtable: Cybersecurity and the Hotel Industry
- BDO, Barney & Barney, and JMBM: Cybersecurity Issues Panel
- Meet the Money® 2016 - Cybersecurity: Who's knocking at your digital door? Moderated So many choices, so little time What's the best brand for you?
- ISSA-LA: Seventh Annual Information Security Summit
- Hotel Executive's Hotel Business Review: Behind the Cyberattacks on Hotels
- HSyndicate: Homeland Security Warns Against Threats to US Infrastructure
- Hotel Online: Homeland Security Warns Against Threats to US Infrastructure
- Hotel Online: Tips on Negotiating Your Annual Hotel Budget
- Hospitality Net: It's Budget Season. What are you doing about it?
- JMBM Attorneys Recognized as Southern California Super Lawyers in 2018
- JMBM Attorneys Recognized as Southern California Super Lawyers in 2017
- JMBM Attorneys Recognized as Southern California Super Lawyers in 2016
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP Formalizes Cybersecurity and Privacy Group Michael Gold and Robert Braun Appointed Co-chairs
- JMBM Attorneys Recognized as Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2015
At the Association for Corporate Growth’s 2011 conference in Los Angeles, Bob Braun discusses how JMBM works with middle market companies to meet their unique challenges.
Co-chairs of the Jeffer Mangels Cybersecurity and Privacy Group, Robert E. Braun and Michael A. Gold, discuss why companies need a cybersecurity training program.
- Homeland Security Warns Against Threats to US Infrastructure 25 October 2017 Click here for the latest articles on Data Technology, Privacy & Security Cybersecurity breaches and risk management continue to
- Hotel Lawyer: Tips on negotiating your annual hotel budget 9 October 2017 It is budget season again that time when operators and owners sit down to agree on the financial blueprint for the next year.