Raef Cogan has experience representing clients in numerous practice areas, with particularized knowledge in employment law, including wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment and wrongful discharge.
Raef has handled all phases of litigation, both prosecuting and defending claims for business clients. He has vigorously pursued fraud claims on behalf of an employer against an employee who had diverted funds away from the employer for the employee’s gain, culminating in a large settlement for the employer. He has successfully defended a wide array of employment matters, including wage and hour disputes, Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) actions, wrongful discharge claims, and allegations of discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Raef has also successfully represented employers in Unemployment Insurance Appeals in the Employment Development Department (EDD). Raef has experience applying his knowledge to provide advice and counsel for businesses in all aspects of employment law.Representative Experience
- Represented numerous businesses in employment law cases, including wage and hour, PAGA, discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination claims.
- Successfully prepared and argued a partial summary judgment motion on behalf of a business alleging fraud claims against numerous defendants. Successfully defended against summary judgment motions in the same matter.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for an employer against an employee that had taken kickbacks and bribes from the employer's vendor.
- Advised and counseled large and small businesses in a variety of employment law matters, including wage and hour, termination, ADA, FFCRA, CARES Act, and personnel policies.
J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2017
B.S., New York University, 2013
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2022