Michael Gold is a partner and Co-Chair of the Cybersecurity & Privacy Group at Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP. He counsels clients in a wide variety of matters, including information security and privacy compliance, supply chain and outsourcing security issues, data breach responses and investigations, regulatory matters, crisis management, and technology contracts.
He has assisted clients in developing policies and processes to comply with information security and privacy laws throughout the world (including the E.U.'s General Data Protection Regulation, the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, and other national, state and industry-sectoral laws in the U.S.). He negotiates technology agreements relating to information security and privacy, and has particular experience with advanced digital advertising and marketing and emerging information security technologies. He represents clients in a range of industries, including healthcare, defense, major league sports, accounting and business management, and financial services.
Michael was named one of California's "Top 20 Cyber - Artificial Intelligence Lawyers" by the Daily Journal (2018), one of the Daily Journal’s 20 “Top Cyber Lawyers” in 2020 and again in 2022, one of the "Most Influential Lawyers: Digital Media and E-Commerce Law" by the Los Angeles Business Journal, and has been designated a "Top Rated Lawyer in Technology Law" by Martindale Hubbell. He is the co-author of the Bloomberg BNA Portfolio Records Retention for Enterprise Knowledge Management.
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law
B.A., University of Connecticut
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Southern District of California
Eastern District of California
Northern District of California
Northern District of Illinois
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Member, Planning Committee, USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute, 2004 - 2009
Advisory Board, Information Systems Security Association, Los Angeles Chapter
Board of Editors, Privacy & Data Security Law Journal, through 2010
- Recognized in the Los Angeles Business Journal: Top 100 Lawyers 2023
- One of 20 attorneys included as a "Top Cyber Lawyer" in the Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2020
- Named a "Top 20 Cyber - Artificial Intelligence Lawyer" by the Daily Journal
- Selected as a "Most Influential Lawyer: Digital Media and E-Commerce Law" by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Recognized as a "Top Rated Lawyer in Technology Law" by Martindale Hubbell
- Is it Time to Analyze Analytics? Website analytics are a key part of understanding whether a website "works," and how to improve it; they arose almost at the same time that companies
- The CPPA Speaks Again – Five Takeaways On Monday, October 17, 2022, the California Privacy Protection Agency Board issued revised regulations to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018