Marty Orlick's practice, encompassing more than 30 years, focuses primarily on real estate transactions and litigation. He is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and is on the Advisory Board of Directors of the Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, Georgetown University Law Center. He serves as the Chair of JMBM's ADA Compliance & Defense Group and is the author of the ADA Compliance & Defense Blog.
His transactional practice includes leasing, lease administration for developers and tenants, acquisition and sales, portfolio management, regulation of real property use and development, eminent domain litigation and counseling, and abstracting lease portfolios, land use regulation and permitting, code compliance, lease termination negotiations, and public relations issues. He advises companies in a full range of ADA compliance.
His litigation experience includes trials and arbitration and covers a wide range of real estate matters including construction disputes, design professional liability cases and ADA defense.
His clients include financial institutions, developers, shopping center owners and retailers, hotels, restaurants, performing arts theaters, wineries and other business property owners.Representative Experience
- Represented California State Automobile Association Inter Insurance Bureau in the sale and leaseback of its corporate headquarters in San Francisco, as well as a lease/purchase option transaction for its new corporate office facilities in Pleasant Hill, CA
- Represented Target Corporation in real estate transactions, land use and environmental matters
- Represented the former PepsiCo Real Estate, Inc.'s (now YUM! Brands, Inc.) casual dining division, including Taco Bell Corp., Pizza Hut, Inc. and KFC in real estate transactions, litigation, operational issues, land use regulation and eminent domain matters
- Litigation counsel for 24 Hour Fitness USA, Inc.
- National real estate roll-out representation for The Gap, Inc., Office Depot, Score Learning Centers (a division of the Washington Post) and other retailers
- Acquisition of manufacturing and distribution facilities for Frito-Lay, Inc.
- Litigation counsel for Wells Fargo Bank's Corporate Real Estate Group
- Represented Bank of America's Corporate Real Estate Group in litigation and transactions
- Represents national and regional hotels in Department of Justice and state agency Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA") investigations
- Represents national and regional banks, hotels & resorts, restaurants, professional sports stadiums and retailers in ADA litigation and enterprise-wide compliance
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1978
M.A., San Francisco State University, 1975
B.A., Temple University, 1970
Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Member, Real Property Law Section, State Bar of California
Member, Advisory Board of Directors, Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, Georgetown University Law Center
Member and Lecturer, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Intern to the Honorable Ira A. Brown, San Francisco Superior Court and extern to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, San Francisco
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, 2019-2023
- Listed, San Francisco Magazine, Northern California Super Lawyer, 2004-2022
- Lawyers World - Leading Lawyer Awards - Real Estate, Banking and Finance – North America, 2012
- Listed, Who’s Who Legal, 2008-present
- JMBM ADA Attorneys Martin Orlick and Stuart Tubis Recognized for Professional Excellence JMBM is proud to announce that two of its Americans With Disabilities (ADA) Defense attorneys, Martin H. Orlick and Stuart K. Tubis, have recently
- San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin and Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon filed Lawsuit Against Potter Handy Alleging Fraudulent Americans with Disability Act Claims On April 11, 2022, San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin and Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon filed a lawsuit against Potter Handy
- ADA Defense Lawyer: Does Your Hotel Have an Electric Vehicle Charging Station? 29 March 2022 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest articles on ADA Compliance and Defense. Many
- ADA Defense Lawyer: A victory against serial plaintiff: The "Reservation Rule" Lawsuit Against California Hotel Dismissed 19 January 2022 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest articles on ADA Compliance and Defense. Serial