Marta M. Fernandez is the Chair of JMBM's Labor & Employment Department. She has over 35 years of experience as a Labor & Employment attorney representing multinational corporations including hospitals and health care systems, professional medical practice groups and foundations, hotels and other hospitality companies, financial institutions, and service industry employers in manufacturing, transportation, and retail. Marta specializes in management-labor relations, in all aspects of a traditional labor practice including collective bargaining.
As Department Chair, Marta oversees all aspects of litigation and defense of employers including wage and hour disputes. She provides advice and counseling to employers in the implementation of preventative management strategies, such as management and executive compensation structures and training, day-to-day counseling and advice, arbitration enforcement, policies, and procedures.
Health Care Industry Focus
Marta has extensive experience in the health care industry and her representation covers many areas, including damage control strategies, union prevention strategies, union negotiations, neutrality agreements, representation and decertification elections, compliance and government investigations, successorship and affiliations, arbitrations, NLRB trials, wage and hour audits, prevailing wage law, administrative proceedings, executive compensation, defense of class action lawsuits, State, Federal and administrative trials, management training, and day-to-day counseling and advice.
Hospitality Industry Focus
Marta also heads the labor and employment practice of the Firm's Global Hospitality Group®. She focuses on management relations such as hiring the workforce of the owner's choice, collective bargaining for single as well as multi-employer bargaining units, neutrality agreements, and defense of unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB. She defends hotel owners in litigation claims such as employee claims of sexual harassment and discrimination and in wage and hour class action lawsuits.
- Management labor and employment counsel to multi-national corporations in health care, hospitality, transportation, retail, banking and other service industries
- Represents clients in collective bargaining and union representation matters throughout the United States
- Trial counsel in numerous jury and court trials in all aspects of labor and employment-related litigation
- Successfully represented national corporate clients in the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeal in overturning NLRB decisions
- Negotiated well over 100 collective bargaining agreements in the course of her career
- Clerk to the Honorable Robert J. Kelleher of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 1984
J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 1985
B.A., Loyola Marymount University, 1982
magna cum laude
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
Jonathan Club, President
Chairman of the Board, Partners In Care Foundation
Board of Regents, Loyola Marymount University
Advisory Board, Loyola Marymount University, Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts
Member, Interlaw, an international association of law firms
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Loyola Marymount University, 2003 Recipient of Distinguished Alumni, Los Angeles Leaders Award
- Los Angeles Super Lawyer, 2005-2012, 2015-2023
- Named by the Daily Journal as one of California's Top 75 Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2012
- Named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top Women Lawyers in California, 2020
- Hotel Lawyer: Court nixes California ban on mandatory employment arbitration 22 February 2023 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest on labor and employment guidance. A three-judge
- Hotel Lawyer Labor & Employment New Year Round-Up: What to Expect in 2022 27 December 2021 See how JMBM's Global Hospitality Group® can help you. Click here for the latest on labor and employment guidance. Labor &