David Tabibian is a creative problem solver and proven deal maker who never loses sight of his clients' business goals. As a Partner in JMBM's Real Estate Department, David provides counsel and legal representation to his clients in a variety of real estate transactions from inception to closing. He has successfully handled and closed more than $4 billion worth of real estate transactions across the country. His success comes from his ability to strategically, yet efficiently, pursue his client’s objectives while keeping all parties focused on closing the deal.
David represents a diverse group of clients, including institutional and non-institutional real estate developers, owners and operators, private equity investors, funds, REITs, borrowers, lenders, commercial landlords and tenants, law firms, celebrities, and high net worth individuals. His practice focuses on acquisitions and dispositions, 1031 exchanges, construction, leasing, debt and equity financing, and joint ventures. He has dealt with a variety of asset classes, including hotel, studio, office, retail, industrial, multi-family and mixed-use projects, as well as residential properties and vacant land.
David typically takes on the role of outside general counsel for his clients, handling all matters from complex, high-dollar commercial projects to smaller residential deals. He has drafted and negotiated numerous purchase and sale agreements, various types of leases (including office, industrial, retail and residential leases totaling more than 5 million sq. ft.), and loan documentation for more than $1 billion worth of sophisticated real estate and commercial loans (including traditional real estate, refinance, construction, bridge, mezzanine, asset-based and hard money loans). He also counsels and assists his clients in a broad range of due diligence matters, including reviewing title and surveys as well as forming new entities.
In 2019, the Daily Journal publication selected David as one of the “Top 40 Under 40” lawyers in California. He was also named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list each year from 2018 through 2020, an honor achieved by no more than 5% of the lawyers in California, after being recognized on the Southern California Rising Stars list for multiple years. In 2016, he was named as one of “The 5 Best Real Estate Lawyers in Los Angeles” by Investopedia’s Real Estate Column.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, Hudson Pacific Properties in the $200+ million acquisition of the historic “Hollywood Center Studios” made up of 12 soundstages on over 15 acres of land located in the heart of Hollywood, CA.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, The Hollywood Pantages Theatre and The Nederlander Organization in connection with a complex license agreement with CIM Group in order to bring Broadway productions to the world renowned Dolby Theatre.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, one of two equal partners in the break-up and 1031 exchanges involving over 30 mobile home parks throughout the country valued in excess of $300 million.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, Hudson Pacific Properties in the acquisition, reverse 1031 exchange, and redevelopment of the “Fourth & Traction” commercial property (formerly the Coca-Cola manufacturing plant) located in the Arts District in Los Angeles, CA.
- Successfully represented Blatteis & Schnur, Inc. in the acquisition, land use and construction of an $80+ million mixed-use project named “AT MATEO” featuring 130,000 sq. ft. of open-air retail and 50,000 sq. ft. of creative office space on a former 3.5-acre industrial site located in the Arts District in Los Angeles, CA.
- Successfully represented the private sellers in the disposition of a $500 million portfolio involving more than 140 gas stations and the underlying real properties across California.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, Calmwater Capital in the construction financing for the development of the San Vicente Club -- a hotel and private members-only club in West Hollywood, CA.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, Hudson Pacific Properties in the acquisition of a real estate portfolio containing more than 83,000 sq. ft. of adjacent properties for creative offices located in the Arts District in Los Angeles, CA.
- Successfully represented a private equity real estate investment trust in the acquisition of a $175 million real estate portfolio containing 15 fee-owned and ground leased regional shopping centers across California, Washington and Oregon.
- Successfully represented the ADCO Group in the acquisition of 3 retail outlet shopping centers located in Maine, Illinois and Michigan.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, landlord Majestic Realty Co. in the negotiation and leasing of its numerous industrial buildings throughout California, including the leasing of a 400,000 sq. ft. building to the U.S. Navy.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, a hard money lender in the origination of a multi-million dollar mezzanine loan for the development of 95 acres of raw land in Maryland.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, the real estate developers in the acquisition, joint venture, financing, tenant relocations, and ongoing redevelopment of several multifamily projects throughout West Hollywood, CA.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, Bank of America in the sale of an REO property named the “Brockman Lofts” – a mixed-use development containing 80 apartment units and a restaurant in downtown Los Angeles, CA.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, a real estate investor in the 1031 exchange, acquisition, financing, ground-up construction, and leasing of two single-tenant retail buildings in Georgia and Indiana involving a national retail tenant worth over $9 billion.
- Successfully represented Goldstein Planting Investments, LLC in the acquisition of a mixed-use development named “The Burbank Collection” containing condominium, office and retail units in Burbank, CA.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, numerous borrowers, non-institutional lenders, and national and regional banks in the origination, refinance, restructure, purchase and sale of various real estate and commercial loans totaling more than $1 billion.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, numerous landlords and tenants with various office, industrial, retail and residential leasing matters totaling more than 5 million sq. ft.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, various high net worth individuals (including entrepreneurs, physicians, film producers, celebrities, and others) in connection with personal matters including their respective investments in California real property.
J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 2007
- St. Thomas More Law Honor Society (Top 15%)
- Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review
B.S., University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business, 2003
- cum laude; Dean’s List; USC Renaissance Scholar
The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, Real Estate & Construction Division
Make-A-Wish Greater Los Angeles, Real Estate Division
American Bar Association, Real Property Section
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section
Urban Land Institute (ULI)
Commercial Real Estate Society Los Angeles (CRESLA)
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
USC Marshall Alumni Association
- "Top 40 Under 40," Daily Journal, 2019
- "Southern California Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers, 2018-2020
- "The 5 Best Real Estate Lawyers in Los Angeles," Investopedia's Real Estate Column, 2016
- "Southern California Rising Star," Super Lawyers, 2014-2017
- "Top 100 Up-and-Coming Southern California Super Lawyers," Super Lawyers, 2016-2017
- Los Angeles Business Journal: On the Move
- Law360: Real Estate Lawyers On The Move
- The Recorder: Tracking the Ins and Outs of California Lawyers
- Law360: 4 Tips For Buyers Of Filming Studios Amid Surge In Demand
- Business Wire: CIM Group and The Hollywood Pantages Theatre Sign Agreement to Bring Broadway Programming to Dolby Theatre