Catherine D. Holmes is Chair of JMBM's Investment Capital Law Group, and the author of the Investment Law Blog. She has practiced law at JMBM for over 30 years, focusing on investment capital and business transactions.
Cathy helps clients worldwide to raise, invest and manage capital from U.S. and non-U.S. investors. She has represented more than 100 real estate developers in obtaining financing through the EB-5 immigrant investor visa program for the development of hotels, multi-family and mixed-use developments through the U.S., and has represented numerous Chinese investors in the purchase of hotels and businesses in the U.S.
With extensive experience in the hospitality industry, Cathy specializes in resort and urban mixed-use financing and development, hotel management and franchise agreements, resort and hotel purchase and sale transactions, and public-private hotel development.
Her finance and investment experience includes handling business formations for entrepreneurs, private securities offerings, structuring and offering of private investment funds, and business and regulatory matters for investment bankers, investment advisers, securities broker-dealers and real estate/mortgage brokers.Representative Experience
- Assisting over 40 new hotel construction projects to obtain financing through the EB-5 immigration investor visa program.
- Assisted U.S. City with RFP and negotiation of qualified management contract for city-owned, 1000-room convention center hotel.
- Assisted the largest publicly owned Taiwanese hotel company to purchase all of the assets of the Regent Hotels brand, including all intellectual property and all hotel management and related agreements for hotels located in Asia, Europe and the Caribbean.
- Assisted Indonesian owners in negotiation of three branded hotel management agreements for hotels to be developed in Bali.
- Assisted owner of 1,500+ room convention hotel with complex RFP process involving major hotel brands and negotiating a favorable management agreement.
- Assisted multiple resort owners to structure mixed use condo hotel projects and prepare CC&Rs, unit maintenance agreements, unit rental agreements.
- Assisted U.S. based hotel brand and management company with resort developments in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Panama and Egypt.
- Assisted securities broker-dealer with multiple real estate focused private investment funds.
- Assisted national securities brokerage firm to acquire regional broker businesses.
- Assisted multiple hedge fund managers in development of new onshore and offshore hedge funds.
- Assisted multiple accounting firms in acquiring or forming investment advisory groups.
J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1977
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1974
Phi Beta Kappa
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Business Law Section, Former Member of Executive Committee
State Bar of California, Business Law Section
Former member of Board of Directors of the Boalt Hall Alumni Association
Former member of Board of Directors of Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), Los Angeles Chapter
Invest in America (“IIUSA”), Current Member of Editorial Committee
- Legal Intern to Justice Frank Richardson, California Supreme Court
- Principal research assistant to Professor Richard M. Buxbaum for Corporations Cases and Materials, Fifth Edition
- Associate Editor, California Law Review
- Listed, Los Angeles Magazine's Southern California Super Lawyer, 2009-2010, 2013-2019
- Listed in Super Lawyers as one of "The Top Women Attorneys in Southern California," 2013
- Recognized by EB5 Investors Magazine on their list of “Top 15 Corporate Attorneys,” 2017 & 2018
- Fiduciary Duties of General Partners and Managers in Connection with Redeployment of EB-5 Capital Now that the USCIS has issued guidance requiring redeployment of capital proceeds received by a new commercial enterprise ("NCE") from repayment of
- What to do if you suspect your EB-5 project is in trouble This article is co-authored by Daniel B. Lundy, Esq., of Klasko Immigration Law Partners, LLP. His Firm's blog is available here. WHAT TO DO IF YOU