Andrew is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation department and a member of the Firm’s Appellate, Patent Litigation, and Professional Liability Defense Groups. He has litigated a wide array of subject matters, including legal and actuarial malpractice cases, breach of fiduciary duty and related business disputes, patent, copyright and trademark infringement cases, and commercial lease and contract actions. Andrew also regularly advises local California businesses on corporate governance and management issues. His clients span a variety of industries, from international law firms and national restaurant chains to major record labels and commercial landlords.
Andrew is actively involved in every part of the litigation (and arbitration) process, from pre-lawsuit investigation all the way through trial and appeal. He has obtained wins for his clients at the pleading stage and on summary judgment, and has authored multiple successful briefs in appeals before California’s Second District Court of Appeal and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
When he’s away from the office, Andrew enjoys playing beach volleyball and tennis, reading literature, cooking, and traveling.
- Successfully defended judgment after demurrer was sustained without leave to amend in wrongful foreclosure case.
- Successfully defended grant of summary judgment and awards of attorneys’ fees in Unruh Act/racial discrimination case.
- Obtained reversals of denials of motions to compel arbitration in two professional negligence cases.
- Second-chaired a federal jury trial on behalf of a pro bono client who had brought claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Represented an international law firm against $200 million cross-claims for equitable indemnity and contribution, premised on alleged professional negligence relating to securities work. Resulted in a nominal settlement by our client.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of a $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud lawsuit, and won a judgment of attorney’s fees and costs against the plaintiff and its alter egos. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of legal malpractice lawsuit filed in federal court against international law firm.
- Successfully opposed appeal to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in a bankruptcy case.
- Won summary judgment and award of attorneys’ fees, both of which were affirmed on appeal, on behalf of an event hosting facility in class action alleging claims of racial discrimination.
- Won summary judgment in arbitration on behalf of motorcycle racing company on breach of contract and related claims brought by former race team operator.
- Helped major record labels and music publishing companies win summary judgment of willful copyright infringement of over 5,000 works.
- Represented international actuarial company in class action lawsuit. Settled claims against our client while our motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Represented commercial aggregate company in prosecuting and defending various real property and mining rights disputes.
- Assisted Court-appointed Monitor in several year assessment of precious metals company’s compliance with court-ordered injunction.
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2010
magna cum laude
B.A., Duke University, 2007
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2014-2019