Andrew is a litigation partner and a member of the Firm's Appellate, Patent Litigation, and Professional Liability Defense Groups. His practice focuses on general and complex commercial litigation across a wide array of subject matters, including legal and actuarial malpractice cases, breach of fiduciary duty and related business disputes, patent, copyright and trademark infringement cases, and commercial lease and contract actions. Andrew also regularly advises California businesses on corporate governance and management issues and disputes. His clients span a variety of industries, from international law firms and national restaurant chains to major record labels and commercial landlords.
Andrew strives to resolve cases in the most beneficial and cost-efficient manner for his clients, whether that requires litigating aggressively or negotiating settlements before or after litigation is filed. Andrew has obtained wins for his clients at the pleading stage and on summary judgment in both state and federal courts, and has authored multiple successful briefs in appeals before California's Second District Court of Appeal and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Federal Circuits.
- Ninth Circuit issued a published opinion affirming summary judgment in favor of our client on a Fair Housing Act claim, and creating new law on the interactive process favorable to landlords.
- Ninth Circuit affirmed dismissal of judgment against our client in bankruptcy case.
- Federal Circuit reversed adverse judgment in patent infringement case.
- Second District Court of Appeal affirmed judgment after demurrer was sustained without leave to amend in $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud case.
- Second District Court of Appeal affirmed grant of summary judgment and award of attorneys' fees in Unruh Act/racial discrimination case.
- Second District Court of Appeal reversed denials of motions to compel arbitration in multiple professional negligence cases.
- Won summary judgment on Fair Housing Act claim, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Prevailed on motions to dismiss claims for breach of fiduciary duty under ERISA in California and Minnesota federal courts.
- Second-chaired a federal jury trial on behalf of a pro bono client who had brought claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Represented an international law firm against $200 million cross-claims for equitable indemnity and contribution, premised on alleged professional negligence relating to securities work. Resulted in a nominal settlement by our client.
- Prevailed on demurrer of a $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud lawsuit, and won a judgment of attorney's fees and costs against the plaintiff and its alter egos.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of legal malpractice lawsuit filed in federal court against international law firm.
- Won summary judgment and award of attorneys' fees on behalf of an event hosting facility in class action alleging claims of racial discrimination.
- Won summary judgment in arbitration on behalf of motorcycle racing company on breach of contract and related claims brought by former race team operator.
- Helped major record labels and music publishing companies win summary judgment of willful copyright infringement of over 5,000 works.
- Represented international actuarial company in class action lawsuit. Settled claims against our client while our motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Assisted Court-appointed Monitor in several year assessment of precious metals company's compliance with court-ordered injunction.
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2010
magna cum laude
B.A., Duke University, 2007
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2014-2020