Renewable Energy/Climate Change
Counsel and advocacy for companies and entrepreneurs that are developing energy solutions or seeking to reduce carbon footprints
JMBM's Renewable & Alternative Energy / Climate Change Group provides transactional and litigation services to the industries, businesses, investors and entrepreneurs that are developing products and services that promote the efficient use of energy. We also serve the needs of existing industries and businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and become more energy efficient.
Full Spectrum of Legal Services
We help our clients get their products or businesses financed and sited, negotiate commercial agreements, protect their intellectual property, assess and manage risks, advise them on compliance and tax issues, advocate their interests before regulatory and legislative bodies, and represent them in litigation. JMBM's Renewable & Alternative Energy / Climate Change Group provides services in the following areas:
- Corporate Law. Equity & debt financing, joint venture formation and financing, project finance, purchase and sale, SEC registration and compliance, insurance, carbon sequestration, commercial contracts, licensing agreements, technology agreements, distribution agreements, power purchase agreements, governmental rebates/credits, company structure and corporate governance.
- Land Use. Siting, permitting, entitlements, development.
- Environmental Review. Environmental impact reports and related issues (NEPA, CEQA, ESA), compliance issues (including California AB32 and SB375).
- Agency Representation. Representation before local, state and federal governments and agencies, including the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), the California Air Resources Board (ARB), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the U.S. Department of the Interior, including the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).
- Legislative/Political. Legislative rule making, policy issues.
- Intellectual Property. Patent, trademark, copyright, trade dress, trade secrets, domain names, Internet, and related licensing and litigation.
- Taxation. Counsel on tax efficiencies including the energy provisions in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (the "Stimulus Bill"), and tax analyses related to the acquisition and disposition of carbon credits.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution. JMBM's lawyers are vigorous advocates of clients' interests in a wide range of commercial disputes that include intellectual property, land use, environmental, bankruptcy, and construction issues.
JMBM's attorneys draw on the experience and knowledge gained from more than two decades representing the energy industry in oil and gas, pipeline development, power plants, power marketing and energy investment.
Renewable and Alternative Energy
We currently represent companies, investors and entrepreneurs involved in clean technologies, and renewable and alternative energy including:
- Biodiesel and biochar projects
- Water treatment
- Electric vehicles
- Low carbon-emitting products
- Liquid natural gas
JMBM represents companies that seek to mitigate the risks related to carbon emissions, comply with (or exceed) government requirements for carbon reduction and maximize opportunities to become more energy efficient. In this regard, we serve clients in a wide range of industries, including:
- Building & construction materials
- Oil & gas
- Development and construction
- Trade and industry associations
JMBM has represented the following companies:
- a biofuel company in partnership formation, joint venture formation, technology acquisitions and licensing deals
- a solar technology company in joint venture formation, licensing and patent review
- a water purification technology company in joint venture formation, licensing and distribution agreements
- a solar energy company in the acquisition of land in southern California
- a solar energy company in patent and trademark protection
- a solar technology company in multiple raises of equity and debt
- numerous manufacturers with respect to protecting their intellectual property and patents for low carbon content products and products that reduce carbon emissions
- a pervious concrete company in corporate matters
- a major building and construction materials company in mitigating greenhouse gases (GHG), including responding to community and industry concerns
- a foreign government in the development of a carbon trading program as it pertains to its sustainable forestry practices
- an industrial client that was threatened by a climate change lawsuit brought by the State of California
- a national trade association before the California Air Resources Board and other regulatory agencies
- a multinational energy company relating to a liquid natural gas terminal at the Port of Los Angeles
- a biofuel company with respect to its proposed terminal and manufacturing facility at the Port of Sacramento
- the developer of major commercial, apartment and mixed use projects, with respect to LEED certifications
- sale and leasing of geothermal properties at the Geysers in Northern California
- property owners leasing subsurface rights for geothermal energy
- a biodiesel company in corporate start-up matters
- syndication for a biochar development project in Australia
- numerous developers and industrial companies in analyzing environmental impact reports (EIRs) as they relate to California's climate change laws (California AB32 and SB 375) and handling land use and permitting issues before local and state governments and agencies
- the Stop Global Warming College Bus Tour and related documentary film, starring major entertainment industry personalities
Whether it is making a deal happen or solving a problem, manufacturers, developers, businesses, investors and entrepreneurs rely on JMBM for delivering results.
Alternative and Renewable Energy
Please Contact Us
We can help you get started, protect your intellectual property, exploit opportunities, manage your risks, and advocate your interests. Please call on us – we would be pleased to hear from you.