California Land Use Blog
- CEQA Claimants Be Warned: New California Court of Appeal Opinion Holds That CEQA Filing Deadlines are Mandatory and Not Subject to Extension for Good Cause
- Endangered Species Act to Trump Mining Claims: Supreme Court Lets Stand Ninth Circuit Ruling in Karuk Tribe of California v. U.S. Forest Service
- JMBM 2013 California Real Estate Survey finds opportunities moving from distressed properties to more normalized real estate
- Save Cuyama Valley v. County of Santa Barbara: JMBM Scores Significant Victory in CEQA Ruling on Significance Thresholds and Mitigation Measures
- Ninth Circuit Ruling in Center for Biological Diversity v. Salazar Creates Tension Between Federal and California Law Regarding Idle Mines and Interim Management Plans
Class Action Defense Blog
- Class Action Defense Cases–Brinker v. Superior Court: California Supreme Court Affirms, Reverses And Remand Class Action Certification Ruling In Labor Law Class Action Clarifying Meal And Rest Break Requirements
- Class Action Defense Cases–KPMG v. Cocchi: Supreme Court Reiterates Requirement That State Courts Follow Concepcion And Enforce Arbitration Agreements Under The Federal Arbitration Act (FAA)
- Richard Watts: "Fables of Fortune: What Rich People Have That You Don't Want"
- Class Action Defense Cases–Ellis v. Costco Wholesale Corp.: Ninth Circuit Vacates And Remands Class Action Certification In Gender Discrimination Labor Law Case
- California Supreme Court One Step Closer to Decision in Long-Awaited Meal and Rest Period Case: Decision Expected By Mid-February
Hotel Law Blog
- JMBM's Meet the Money® in the Wall Street Journal. Conference panelists discuss financing new hotel construction.
- Meet the Money® 2013 -- Mood of the hotel industry and Conference Presentations
- EB-5 Alert: California moves to make EB-5 financing more competitive in the state -- changes rules on TEA designation
- The LIIC Top 10: Annual Survey of Lodging Investment Trends and Challenges
- Meet the Money® 2013 online registration ends Friday. Don't miss this year's exciting edition of the hotel industry's finance conference.
Patent Law Blog
- Inadvertent Disclosure Did Not Waive Privilege and Crime Fraud Exception Held Not to Apply Even Though Disclosed Document May Show That Plaintiff's Counsel Told Plaintiff It Had a Weak Legal Claim
- Motion to Stay Pending Inter Partes Review Denied without Prejudice Where Inter Partes Review Had Not Yet Been Granted
- Counterclaims for Declaratory Judgment for Non-Infringement and Invalidity Dismissed as Duplicative of Infringement Complaint and Failure to Plead Any Facts Describing How the Patent Was Invalid
- Stay Pending Inter Partes Review Denied Because Defendant Waited Too Long to File the Petition and Court Had Dedicated Resources to Determining Claim Construction
- Assignment Agreement That Failed to Specifically Address Right to Sue for Past Damages Held Insufficient on Summary Judgment; Summary Judgment Granted to Limit Damages to Period After Patent Was Acquired
Special Assets Lawyer Blog
- Dick Rogan to Speak at SAMA Conference
- Can a Plan of Reorganization Separately Classify a Claim That Is Personally Guaranteed?
- Lenders: Beware of the Arizona "Two-Dollar Bankruptcy"
- Double Bogie: Bank's Security Interest in Green Fees Cut Off by Club's Bankruptcy
- JMBM Attorney Selected as Membership Chair for the Turnaround Management Association's Northern California Chapter