Martin H. OrlickPartner
Marty Orlick's practice, encompassing more than 30 years, focuses primarily on real estate transactions and real estate litigation, including financial institution, shopping center, retail and commercial leasing, acquisitions and sales, lease administration for developers and tenants, portfolio management, regulation of real property use and development, eminent domain litigation and counseling, and abstracting lease portfolios. He is experienced in counseling and defending clients with respect to Americans with Disabilities Act claims in State and Federal court and defending Department of Justice investigations and complaints, including negotiating Voluntary Compliance Agreements. His ADA practice includes counseling businesses on the full spectrum of ADA compliance including the development of policy and procedure manuals and website accessibility issues. Marty has represented the nation's largest financial institutions in corporate real estate, litigation, class actions, and ADA cases. He has also represented trust clients of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Bank of America and Bank of the West.
Marty's practice includes chain-wide roll-outs for regional and national tenants, operations counseling, land use regulation and permitting, code compliance, lease termination negotiations, contract and lease administration, and public relations issues.
Marty is involved in all aspects of real estate transactions and litigation including trials, arbitrations and alternative dispute resolution.
Additionally, he prosecutes and defends a variety of Federal and State actions, including consumer class actions, commercial transactions, unfair competition and business practice claims, construction disputes and design professional liability cases.
- Represents Target Corporation in real estate transactions, land use and environmental matters.
- Litigation counsel for Jo-Ann Stores, Inc.
- Represented the former PepsiCo Real Estate, Inc.'s (now YUM! Brands, Inc.) casual dining division, including Taco Bell Corp., Pizza Hut, Inc. and KFC in real estate transactions, litigation, operational issues, land use regulation and eminent domain matters
- Litigation counsel for 24 Hour Fitness USA, Inc.
- National real estate roll-out representation for The Gap, Inc., Office Depot, Score Learning Centers (a division of the Washington Post) and other retailers
- Acquisition of manufacturing and distribution facilities for Frito-Lay, Inc.
- Represents retailers, shopping center developers, financial institutions, hotels, restaurants, performing arts theaters, wineries and other business property owners in ADA litigation and counseling
- Litigation counsel for Wells Fargo Bank's Corporate Real Estate Group
- Represented Bank of America's Corporate Real Estate Group in litigation and transactions
- Represented California State Automobile Association Inter Insurance Bureau in the sale and lease back of its corporate headquarters in the largest real estate transaction in San Francisco in 2008
- Represents national and regional hotels in Department of Justice and state agency Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA") investigations
- Represents national and regional restaurant systems in ADA and lease litigation
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1978
M.A., San Francisco State University, 1975
B.A., Temple University, 1970
Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Member, Real Property and Insurance Law Sections, State Bar of California
Member, Litigation, Real Estate and Insurance Sections, American Bar Association
Member, Advisory Board of Directors, Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, Georgetown University Law Center
Member and Lecturer, International Council of Shopping Centers
Member, International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate
American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Intern to the Honorable Ira A. Brown, San Francisco Superior Court and extern to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, San Francisco
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Listed, San Francisco Magazine, Northern California Super Lawyer, 2004-2013
- Listed, Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer, May 2010
- Lawyers World - Leading Lawyer Awards - Real Estate, Banking and Finance – North America, 2012