Getting results through effective advocacy
JMBM Government Practice - Government, Land Use, Environment & Energy (GLUEE)
JMBM has the experience to represent a wide range of industries, businesses, trade groups and individuals at every level of government, particularly throughout the state of California. We understand how government works, and our team members’ substantial political and regulatory experience includes the former principal policy maker for the Los Angeles City Zoning/Building and Safety Commission.
JMBM provides legal representation in many aspects of government-related issues, including public affairs. The Firm's clients include a wide range of industries, businesses, trade groups and individuals with interests before all levels of State and Federal government. The Firm's Government Group routinely advocates its clients’ interests before the myriad of regulatory authorities, administrative agencies and elected bodies that govern business and development activities. The Firm's negotiation expertise and lobbying experience includes representing clients seeking to locate and develop new sites, relocate, expand operations, and all related permitting and compliance.
Attorneys in the Government Group have represented a variety of industries before the following government bodies:
- State agencies, including those governing air and water quality
- State commissions, such as the Public Utilities Commission
- Federal agencies, such as the Bureau of Land Management and the Army Corps of Engineers
- California State Legislature
- U.S. Congress
- Local governments including Boards of Supervisors, City Councils, and Planning and Redevelopment Agencies
Public policy advocacy
Because any company or organization can be directly affected by governmental activity, you need a strong presence among decision makers and vigilant cultivation of support from legislative and regulatory bodies that have an impact on your operations. Whether clients have industry specific concerns involving healthcare, insurance, telecommunications, gaming or land use, or broader issues of tax and regulatory policy, we have the knowledge and contacts at the local, state and federal levels to address such legislative or regulatory problems.
Our lawyers regularly represent clients before administrative agencies and legislative bodies in hearings, rulemaking proceedings and compliance disputes. We are also proactive and get involved in proposed and pending state, county and city legislation and plans to adopt or amend agency rules. You also benefit from our ability to work with policy stakeholders, from media outlets to community activists, both those who are sympathetic to your interests and those whose concerns could be disruptive unless skillfully addressed.
- Schlage Lock Site Named Best Land Deal of the Year in San Francisco Demolition and remediation activities began the week of April 6, 2009 on the long dormant brownfield in San Francisco known as the Schlage Lock industrial site. The San Francisco Business Times recently named the Schlage Lock site part of Universal Paragon Corp.'s (UPC) 20-acre, $500 million Brisbane Baylands development project the Best Land […]
- For Universal Paragon: Obtained approvals for the $500 million mixed-use project on 20 acres of brownfield in the Bay Area For Universal Paragon Corp: Obtained approvals clearing the way for the development of a $500 million project on 20 acres of brownfield in the Bay Area, near the San Francisco/Brisbane border. The complex deal involved settling a lawsuit, indemnifying parties from claims of future environmental liability, obtaining fixed cost contracts for remediation and securing environmental […]
- JMBM Wins First Density Bonus Case Against the City of Los Angeles Under SB 1818 On December 8, 2008, JMBM attorneys successfully challenged an attempt by the City of Los Angeles to unlawfully impose conditions of approval on a proposed infill apartment project that was entitled to a height limit increase under SB 1818, the state density bonus law. Louise Apts. LLC v. City of Los Angeles is the first […]
- For Candy & Candy (CPC Ltd.): JMBM provided land use due diligence and pursued project approvals for a 252-unit luxury high rise condominium and retail project in Beverly Hills For Candy and Candy; CPC Group (based in London, England), JMBM represented the client in land use due diligence and pursuit of project approvals for the redevelopment of the Robinsons-May Department Store in Beverly Hills for the development of a high profile 252-unit luxury condo and retail project; property purchased for $500 million.
- Selected CEQA Litigation Experience JMBM's Government, Land Use, Environment & Energy (GLUEE) lawyers offer comprehensive strategies for clearing the many environmental hurdles that confront all proposed projects before, during, and after development. Environmental approvals are particularly complex for the many projects we represent in California where, as part of the development process, we prepare and review documentation to ensure […]
- Selected Land Use Litigation Cases JMBM's Government, Land Use, Environment & Energy (GLUEE) lawyers represent a wide range of industries, businesses, trade groups and individuals at every level of government, particularly throughout the state of California. Our particular strength is handling all permitting and compliance issues for clients seeking to locate and develop new sites, relocate or expand operations. When […]
- Selected Development Projects and Clients JMBM's Government, Land Use, Environment & Energy (GLUEE) lawyers represent a wide range of industries, businesses, trade groups and individuals at every level of government, particularly throughout the state of California. Our particular strength is handling all permitting and compliance issues for clients seeking to locate and develop new sites, relocate or expand operations. Projects […]
- JMBM helped an aggregate mining operator secure federal and local permits The Firm successfully represented an aggregate mining operator secure federal and local permits for the largest federally-contracted construction aggregate project in the United States.
- JMBM got the required permits and emission reduction credits for several power generating facilities JMBM attorneys secured the required permits and emission reduction credits (ERCs), including air quality permits and CEC approvals, for several power generating facilities.
- For The Clarett Group and Prudential Real Estate: JMBM handled the development entitlement approvals for a major mixed-use project in Hollywood JMBM's Government, Land Use, Environmental and Energy Group represented the Clarett Group and Prudential Real Estate in obtaining development entitlement approvals for a major mixed-use development to exceed one million square feet on Hollywood Boulevard adjoining the Pantages Theatre. The project includes 1,042 apartment units and 175,000 square feet of retail.
- For CEMEX, Inc.: JMBM scored a significant victory in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for a mine project, which involved the relationship of the federal Endangered Species Act to state law On June 5, 2006, JMBM scored a significant victory for the firm's client, CEMEX, Inc., when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a published opinion in Center for Biological Diversity, et al. v. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, and CEMEX, Inc. 450 F.3d 930 (9th Cir. 2006). The Center's lawsuit challenged authorizations by the Service […]