Taxation, Trust & Estates Associate
Estate Planning Paralegal/Mid Level
Taxation, Trust & Estates Associate (Los Angeles)
JMBM seeks an outstanding junior tax, trusts and estates associate to join the Taxation, Trust & Estates department of our Century City office. The successful candidate will have 1-3 years of law firm experience concentrated in taxation or estate planning. Experience in the tax-exempt organization practice area is desirable. Strong academic credentials and admission to the California Bar are required. An LL.M. in tax is preferred. JMBM’s tax, trust and estates practice is among the largest in Los Angeles. We pride ourselves on the strength of our practice as one of the core practices of the Firm. It is not a “service” practice as at other firms. For example, our practice led to representing a client that resulted in JMBM obtaining the largest patent verdict on record. Our Firm offers a unique combination of advising a highly sophisticated clientele in a collegial and rewarding environment.
Estate Planning Paralegal/Mid Level
Summary Primary Skills/Tasks:
Responsible for assisting attorneys, as well as working with other paralegals and firm members, with all aspects of estate planning and trust administration. Contributes to a team atmosphere with the ultimate goal of achieving the best possible results for the Firm and its clients.
Essential Duties/Functions/Responsibilities include the following (Other duties may be assigned.):
- Prepare all types of basic estate planning documents such as will, trusts, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives
- Prepare all types of transfer documents such as deeds, assignments, etc.
- Communicate with clients and professionals as needed.
- Billable hours target of 1,400-1,500 hours annually.
- Familiarity with Insurance Trusts and fictitious trusts is desirable
- Trust Administration including County Assessor filings, statutory notice, and creation of sub trusts, allocation of assets and transfers to trusts.
- Must have familiarity with federal gift and estate issues.
- Thorough understanding of Form 706 and 709.
- Completion of an ABA-accredited paralegal certification program (or the reasonable equivalent) required.
- Proficiency in Word and Outlook required.
- Prior estate planning paralegal experience of three years or more strongly preferred.
- Prior paralegal experience in a law firm strongly required.
- Notary a plus.
The Technology Trainer is responsible for the design, development and delivery of training on the firm's business & desktop applications. The Trainer will work closely with Technology, Human Resources and Professional Development team members to maintain and customize JMBM's core application set; develop documentation technical tip sheets and training curriculum.
The ideal person will be a self-starter with experience in client service and the ability to easily develop rapport with the user, have a pleasant telephone voice with good listening skills, possess the ability to lead the user to a solution and be responsive to urgent requests with strong follow-up skills. The Trainer must perform the duties of the position according to the Firm's policies and procedures and maintain the confidentiality of client and firm matters at all times.
This is a full-time non-exempt position and reports to the IT Manager.
Please send your resume and salary requirements via email to JKrikorian@jmbm.com.
NOTICE TO SEARCH FIRMS: Upon receipt of submissions, JMBM's fee agreement with search firms shall be provided to recruiting firms for review and approval prior to extending invitations for candidate interviews. If search firms have a candidate that does not fit any Current Opening, please e-mail a descriptive profile of the candidate without identifying the candidate's name or contact information. We will review such submittals to determine if JMBM has an interest in scheduling interviews. Thank you for your recruiting efforts on behalf of JMBM.