Why Practice Law at Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP?
A National Practice From a California Base
JMBM has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orange County. While a number of our clients are located in California, many of them come from all parts of the country - and often outside the U.S. For example, we have handled major matters for clients located in:
- New York, Chicago, Honolulu, Dallas, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Miami.
- China, Japan, Russia, Ireland, Costa Rica, Bali, Canada and Hong Kong.
Similarly, our litigators are often called upon to handle difficult cases across the U.S. For example, in recent years, JMBM has litigated on these venues:
- Tennessee: federal court trial, resulting in a $500 million jury verdict for our client in an IP litigation case;
- Texas: federal court in Texas in another high profile IP case;
- Michigan: a high stakes arbitration for a New York based client with offices all over the U.S.
Lean Staffing Keeps Both Attorneys and Clients Happy
The question we are most often asked by law students is, "What is your firm looking for in a young lawyer?"
We are looking for lawyers who are eager to take responsibility quickly and can handle it. Unlike many megafirms where matters are highly "leveraged" - with one partner and a horde of associates - our typical staffing has a ratio of one partner to one associate.
For law students with a long term focus, our practice of keeping our summer associate and new attorney classes small not only means more responsibility quicker, but also a greater chance to ultimately make partner.
Lawyers Who Are Friends As Well As Colleagues
JMBM was founded in 1981 by a group of friends. Over the years, we have repeatedly turned down offers to merge with megafirms because we place such a high value on having a firm where people know and like one another. At our firm the name partners are "Bruce," "Bob," "Jim" and "Burton," not names on a letterhead or voices on a speakerphone thousands of miles away.
A Successful And Stable Firm
Once upon a time lawyers did not talk about the fact that law firms are businesses also. Those days are long gone. Now, even law students want to know that a firm is a financially stable - realizing that a firm or an office of a firm that is not well managed can disappear overnight.
Here are the reasons why JMBM has been so successful as a business and has grown from 12 attorneys to 125 in its brief history:
- a recognition that keeping clients happy with high quality work and fast, efficient service is the touchstone to a firm's success;
- a philosophy of "slow growth" each year, adding a few more people than the year before;
- a fiscally conservative managed firm, with no debt.
How to Apply
If you are a law student with a strong academic record and you want hands-on experience at one of Los Angeles' most dynamic law firms, let us know! Please check our On Campus Interview Schedule and sign-up to meet a representative of JMBM in the Fall. The summer program is offered only in the Los Angeles office. If you attend a law school we do not visit, and wish to be considered, please submit your resume to Jill Michelman at JMichelman@JMBM.com.
2013 On-Campus Interview Schedule
- August 6, 2013 - On Tour Interview Program with Duke, Georgetown, Northwestern & UVA
- August 7, 2013 - UCLA and USC
- August 8, 2013 - UC Berkeley and Midwest-California Consortium
- August 21, 2013 - Stanford