Matthew D. HinksPartner
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of property owner in high profile land use dispute brought against City of Los Angeles involving residential construction project in Benedict Canyon.
- Successfully defended sign company client in action brought by criminal branch of Los Angeles City Attorney's Office alleging nuisance and business and professions code claims arising out of installation of supergraphics.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of real estate developer in first density bonus case brought against City of Los Angeles under State Density Bonus Law, SB 1818.
- Prevailed on summary judgment and on appeal in class action brought by class of plaintiffs under California's Unruh Act alleging claims of racial discrimination.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in pioneering class action case involving application of California's newly-enacted Proposition 64. Judgment affirmed in published decision on appeal.
- Won federal court injunction on First Amendment grounds against application of City of San Francisco's sign ordinances. Affirmed by Ninth Circuit on appeal.
- Prevailed on demurrer on behalf of a major national law firm against claims for negligent misrepresentation, fraud and promissory estoppel in a ten million dollar lawsuit brought by an injured investor in a life insurance investment scheme.
- Harris v. Save the Queen, 2012 WL 5207516 (Cal. App. 2012)
- Four Sided Properties LLC v. City of Los Angeles, 2012 WL 1499035 (Cal. App. 2012)
- O'Brien v. Camisasca, 161 Cal. App. 4th 388 (2008).
- Contest Promotions, LLC v. City of San Francisco, 2010 WL 1998780 (N.D. Cal. 2010), aff'd, 2011 WL 1575596 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Garamendi v. SDI Vendome S.A., 276 F. Supp. 2d 1030 (C.D. Ca. 2003).
- Gonzales v. Lloyds TSB Bank, PLC, 532 F. Supp. 2d 1200 (C.D. Cal. 2006)
- Headley v. Church of Scientology International, et al., 2010 WL 3184389 (C.D. Cal. 2010).
- DeCrescenzo v. Church of Scientology International, et al., 2011 WL 2508142 (Cal. App. 2011).
- Wecker v. City of Los Angeles, 2009 WL 5109557 (Cal. App. 2009).
- PR/JSM Rivara LLC v. Community Redevelopment Agency of City of Los Angeles, 180 Cal. App. 4th 1475 (2009).
- Allison-Zongker, LP v. CHLN , Inc., 2008 WL 1765049 (Cal. App. 2008).
- Maudlin v. Pacific Decision Sciences Corp., 137 Cal. App. 4th 1001 (Cal. App. 2006)
- Wham-O, Inc. v. Manley Toys, Ltd., 2009 WL 1353752 (9th Cir. 2009)
J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
B.A., University of Southern California, 1995
magna cum laude
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
State Courts of California
Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Awards & Recognition
- Executive Editor, California Law Review, Boalt Hall School of Law
- Research Assistant to Professor Paul Mishkin, Boalt Hall School of Law
- Co-chair, Appellate Advocacy Program, Boalt Hall School of Law