Thomas M. GeherPartner
Tom Geher has particular expertise in bankruptcy, insolvency and creditors' rights and the representation of debtors, secured creditors, unsecured creditors and bankruptcy trustees in all aspects of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases in a wide variety of industries and businesses. Tom has also successfully represented numerous state and federal court receivers, as well as assignees and assignors in assignments for the benefit of creditors.
- Prevailed on behalf of Chapter 7 Trustee in In Re Luz International Limited 219 B.R. 837 (9th Cir. BAP 1998).
- Lead counsel in successfully representing Chapter 7 Trustee.
- Reversed decision of United States Bankruptcy Court which allowed Lloyd's of London to set off claims against Chapter 7 estate.
- As lead counsel, successfully defended Chapter 11 Debtor in Possession in In Re Arrowhead Estates Development Company 42 F.3d 1306 (9th Cir. 1994).
- Reversed lower court ruling which had dismissed Debtor In Possession's appeal on jurisdictional grounds.
- As lead counsel, successfully represented Chapter 7 Trustee in In Re Kahan 28 F.3d 79 (9th Cir. 1994).
- Affirmed decisions of United States Bankruptcy Court and United States District Court concerning issues of homestead exemption and accrual of post-petition appreciation for benefit of Chapter 7 estate.
- Lead Counsel for secured creditor In re Goldenpark, LLC Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases (Case Nos. 2:11-bk-30070-PC and 2:12-bk-14292-PC) and obtained relief from stay and case dismissal.
- Lead Counsel for secured creditor (commercial mortgage back security) in In Re: Figueroa Tower I LP, Figueroa Tower II LP and Figueroa Tower III LP (case nos. 1:11-bk-18760gm, 1:11-bk-18761gm and 1:11-bk-18762gm) and obtained relief from stay to foreclosure on class A office building in downtown Los Angeles and defeated confirmation of debtors' plan of reorganization.
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1987
B.A., University of Denver, 1984
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
Los Angeles County Bar Association