Susan Allison handles diverse, complex business litigation matters, including intellectual property and entertainment litigation, defendants' professional malpractice, class action defense, and healthcare litigation.
Equally at home in federal and state trial courts, and experienced in trials, arbitrations and appellate issues, Susan identifies her clients' litigation objectives early on and develops litigation strategies designed to achieve those objectives efficiently and effectively.
Representative Matters include:
- Co-counsel for motion picture studio and producer plaintiff in copyright, trademark and trade secret lawsuit relating to rights to major motion picture franchise; preliminary injunction upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented major recording artist, her producers and recording company in copyright infringement lawsuit; obtained dismissal sanctions against plaintiff prior to trial, which were upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented generic drug distributor in trade dress infringement and false advertising lawsuit brought by competing brand name manufacturer; summary judgment in client's favor affirmed on appeal.
- Represented professional sports league in Sherman Act antitrust litigation, SDNY.
- Represented defendant nationwide health and fitness club in defending consumer class action, including successful appeal of trial court's denial of class certification.
Professional Liability Defense
- Represented major law firm in compelling and resolving arbitration of professional liability claims arising from negotiation of tax protection agreement in complex corporate transaction.
- Defended national law firm against malpractice claims arising from international corporate restructuring transaction and subsequent tax audit.
- Ongoing representation of national law firms in defending against professional negligence claims.
- Represented defendant global professional services company in actuarial malpractice action relating to retiree healthcare fund; summary judgment in client's favor affirmed on appeal.
- Represented defendant major actuarial consulting firm in federal court action alleging misrepresentation in connection with defense contractor's acquisition of defense-related assets and liabilities; case settled favorably after summary judgment granted in client's favor.
- Represented defendant global professional services company in federal court class action suit alleging actuarial malpractice in connection with spin-off of corporate pension plan.
- Co-counsel for plaintiff in four-week jury trial alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against business adviser/accountant, resulting in $6.5 million verdict, including punitive damages. Judgment later ruled non-dischargeable in accountant's bankruptcy.
Susan also represents clients in a diverse mix of healthcare, shareholder, partnership and corporate disputes.
More about Susan on the Women Lawyers of JMBM page.
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1979
B.A., Stanford University, 1975
Bar AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of California
Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Member, Appellate Court Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Recognition and Awards
- Member, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, volume 6, 1979
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Wiley W. Manuel, California Supreme Court