Scott A. HarshmanPartner
Scott A. Harshman has extensive experience in tax, trust and estate matters and business planning for high net-worth individuals, including wealth transfer planning, income tax planning, corporate and partnership taxation, and business succession planning. Scott is the Co-Chair and founder of the Firm's International Tax Group and focuses on income, gift, estate and pre-immigration planning for multinational individuals and families. Scott also has vast experience in probate and trust administration, trust and probate litigation, and the structure and formation of nonprofit entities, including private foundations and public charitable organizations.
- Estate and wealth-transfer planning
- International estate, gift, and income tax planning
- Trust and probate administration
- Business tax planning, including entity selection and buy-sell agreements
- Corporate and partnership tax
- Private foundations and public charities
- Federal and state tax controversy
- Litigation and dispute resolution involving wills, trusts and other testamentary instruments
- Planned and implemented a business succession plan for a large estate involving a family office structure, partnership agreements, voting agreements and dynasty trusts.
- Regularly advises foreign individuals and families on international tax and estate planning issues including pre-immigration tax planning.
- Represented numerous trustees and beneficiaries in disputes involving removal of trustees, accountings, breach of trust, and petitions to reform or modify trusts.
- Planned and implemented numerous installment sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts.
- Coordinated trust administration of over 30 irrevocable trusts that hold a substantial interest in a publicly traded company for multiple generations of family members.
- Formed and planned the structure of a nonprofit school, consisting of the formation of a public charity and supporting organizations.
LL.M., Taxation, University of San Diego School of Law, 1999
J.D., Whittier Law School, 1998
B.A., University of California, Riverside, 1995
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California, U.S. Tax Court
Certified specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
Member, Trusts and Estates Section of California State Bar
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized as a "Southern California Rising Star" by Los Angeles Magazine and Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010