Michael A. GoldPartner
Michael A. Gold's practice involves both corporate counseling and transactions and litigation matters. His clients range from early stage companies backed by private equity funds to major national companies.
Michael advises companies and their owners and directors, and alternative entities and their managers and members, in business control and governance disputes, risk management, shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty matters, conflict of interest transactions, internal investigations, and "business divorces." In recognition of his work in this area, he was named "2014 Governance Disputes Attorney of the Year in California" by Corporate International Magazine and by Global Law Experts. Michael has extensive experience representing early stage technology companies, private equity funds and companies in the managed health care area. Michael is the co-author of "Winding Down Strategic Alliances and Collaborations," published in the spring 2012 edition of the California Business Law Practitioner, a publication of the California Continuing Education of the Bar.
Michael also represents businesses and their owners in litigation matters, including trade secret misappropriation cases, regulatory investigations and enforcement matters, failed business transactions, troubled software development projects, and complex breach of contract cases. Michael has obtained for his clients numerous injunctions enforcing post-employment restrictive covenants and covenants not to compete.
Michael is co-chair of the Firm's Privacy, Information Management and Data Protection Group. Michael counsels clients in a wide variety of matters, including data breach matters, crisis management, development of computer-based information retention systems, forensic investigations of computer systems, and computer and internet privacy matters. The Los Angeles Business Journal recently named him as one of the "Most Influential Lawyers: Digital Media and E-Commerce Law." He is a co-author of the Bloomberg BNA Portfolio "Records Retention for Enterprise Knowledge Management," published in 2007 and updated in 2012. Michael has been designated a "Top Rated Lawyer in Technology Law" (Martindale Hubbell, 2013).
Representative matters include:
- Represented medical device manufacturer in establishing world-wide privacy and data security policies
- Represented majority shareholders of prominent media company in dispute with preferred shareholders
- Represented majority shareholders of social media company in dispute with minority shareholders
- Represented early stage aeronautical company in hostile re-negotiation of a large credit facility with major banks
- Represented several investment companies in connection with investor disputes arising out of the 2008 financial crisis
- Represented a company in breach of contract and misrepresentation lawsuits arising out of one of the first business-to-business web platforms
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in litigation to recover fraudulent transfers made by investment company to major commodities futures trading firms
- Supervised all outside legal matters for a large Latin American company establishing business operations in the U.S.
- Represented major shareholder in litigation over the management and control of a web-based media company
- Represented major shareholders in a medical diagnostic testing company in connection with restructuring of the company's shareholding interests
- Represented private equity funds and issuers in connection with § 3(a)(10) issuances
- Negotiated compensation and equity participation package for the president of a nationwide information technology company backed by a large venture capital firm
- Negotiated employment and equity participation package for the chief operating officer of a multi-billion dollar private equity firm
- Represented publicly-held companies in covenant not to compete and trade secret litigation against high-level executives and other key employees
- Represented principal partner in hostile dissolution of one of Los Angeles' most prominent law firms
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law
B.A., University of Connecticut
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Southern District of California
Eastern District of California
Northern District of California
Northern District of Illinois
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Member, Planning Committee, USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute, 2004 - 2009
Awards & Recognition
- Named by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the "Most Influential Lawyers: Digital Media and E-Commerce Law," 2014
- 2014 Governance Disputes Attorney of the Year in California, Corporate International Magazine, Global Law Experts
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Member, Editorial Board, Privacy and Data Security Law Journal
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer, 2013, 2014 (Business Edition, 2014)