Michael A. GoldPartner
Michael A. Gold's practice involves both corporate counseling and transactions and litigation matters. His clients range from early stage companies backed by private equity funds to major national companies.
Michael advises companies and their owners and directors in business control and governance disputes, shareholder controversies, business reorganizations, internal investigations, development of corporate compliance programs and "business divorces." Michael has extensive experience representing companies in the managed health care area, including health plans, physician groups and laboratories. Michael is the co-author of "Winding Down Strategic Alliances and Collaborations," published in the spring 2012 edition of the California Business Law Practitioner, a publication of the California Continuing Education of the Bar.
Michael also represents businesses and their owners in litigation matters, including trade secret misappropriation cases, fraudulent transfer lawsuits, regulatory investigations and enforcement matters, broken business deals, failed software development projects, and complex breach of contract cases. Michael has obtained for his clients numerous injunctions enforcing post-employment restrictive covenants and covenants not to compete.
Michael is co-chair of the Firm's Privacy, Information Management and Data Protection Group. He is also a founder and co-chair of the Firm's Discovery Technology Group™, one of the first such practice groups in a major law firm. Michael counsels clients in a wide variety of matters, including the development of computer-based information retention systems, forensic investigations of computer systems, computer and internet privacy matters and breach issues and e-discovery. He is a co-author of the Bloomberg BNA Portfolio "Records Retention for Enterprise Knowledge Management," published in 2007 and updated in 2012.
Representative matters include:
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in litigation to recover fraudulent transfers made by investment company to major commodities futures trading firms
- Represented aeronautical company in hostile re-negotiation of a large credit facility with major banks
- Represented several investment companies in connection with investor disputes arising out of the 2008 financial crisis
- Represented a company in breach of contract and misrepresentation lawsuits arising out of the first business-to-business web platforms
- Supervised all outside legal matters for a large Latin American company establishing business operations in the U.S.
- Represented major shareholder in litigation over the management and control of a web-based media company
- Represented major shareholders in a medical diagnostic testing company in connection with restructuring of the company's shareholding interests
- Represented private equity funds and issuers in connection with section 3(a)(10) issuances
- Negotiated compensation and equity participation package for the president of a nationwide information technology company backed by a large venture capital firm
- Negotiated employment and equity participation package for the chief operating officer of a multi-billion dollar private equity firm
- Represented publicly-held companies in covenant not to compete and trade secret litigation against high-level executives and other key employees
- Represented principal partner in hostile dissolution of one of Los Angeles' most prominent law firms
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law
B.A., University of Connecticut
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Southern District of California
Eastern District of California
Northern District of California
Northern District of Illinois
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Member, Planning Committee, USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute, 2004 - 2009
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Member, Editorial Board, Privacy and Data Security Law Journal
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer, 2013