Jonathan A. WeiningerPartner
- Won defense arbitration award, including attorneys' fees and costs of $350,000, in a mining rights dispute, after a four-day binding arbitration where claimant sought over $5.5 million in damages. Award confirmed by the trial court.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud lawsuit filed against Mr. Weininger’s clients who had purchased a hotel. The trial court awarded attorney’s fees and costs to Mr. Weininger’s clients, and amended the judgment to add plaintiff-company’s officers as alter ego judgment debtors responsible for payment of those fees and costs. The matter was affirmed on appeal (Goldenpark, LLC v. Urban Commons, LLC, et al., 2015 WL 5146159).
- Won summary judgment for lender, defeating fraud and related claims arising out of sale of note secured by multi-million dollar commercial real property collateral.
- Won summary judgment for lender following borrowers' default on a commercial loan. Mr. Weininger also recovered collateral held by borrowers by invoking various provisional remedies prior to entry of judgment.
- Successfully defended international automotive company in real estate commission dispute. The client prevailed at the pleading stage and was awarded its attorneys’ fees and defense costs.
- Successfully represented sand and aggregate mining companies in various real property and mining rights disputes.
- Represented owners of hotels, shopping centers and other commercial properties in lease disputes and related transactions.
- Represented buyers of custom-built, beach-front home in a multi-party construction defect litigation matter under the Right to Repair Act, involving substantial water intrusion defects and other issues. Obtained favorable settlement for client that included reimbursement of all repair costs.
- Represented real estate investor and developer against publicly-traded guarantors of multi-million dollar real estate loan. The case settled favorably for the client shortly before the hearing on a motion for summary judgment.
- Represented numerous banks and lenders in special assets-related litigation matters, and obtained various provisional relief in such matters, including appointment of receivers, attachments, levies and other pre-judgment recovery of assets.
- Successfully represented owners, developers and construction lenders in numerous actions involving mechanic's liens and stop notice claims.
- Represented commercial real estate developer in action seeking specific performance of $200 million commercial property.
- Represented owner of luxury condominium tower located on the Wilshire Corridor in litigation involving numerous alleged residential construction defects.
- Successfully defeated copyright infringement and other claims filed against celebrity musician client.
- Successfully represented brokers, broker-dealers, and investment advisers in numerous NASD and FINRA consumer arbitrations.
J.D., Whittier Law School, 2001
summa cum laude (graduated 1st in full-time day class)
B.A., California State University, Long Beach, 1996
Awards & Recognition
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Gregory O'Brien, Los Angeles Superior Court, 1999
- Finalist, Saul Lefkowitz Trademark and Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition, Washington D.C., 2001