Jonathan A. WeiningerPartner
Mr. Weininger is a litigation, trial and appeals lawyer who has extensive experience handling business and real estate litigation matters, including creditors' rights, lender liability and fraud claims, disputes involving quiet title, easements and prescriptive rights, aggregate and mining disputes, and construction disputes involving commercial and custom residential properties. Mr. Weininger also has extensive experience handling general commercial, securities and entertainment litigation matters. He has won judgments and successfully resolved cases for clients ranging from individuals and small businesses to publicly-traded corporations and national banks. He has obtained significant monetary and non-monetary relief for his clients, including all forms of provisional relief and injunctive remedies in state and federal courts and in arbitration.
- Obtained summary judgment for bank defeating alleged fraud and related claims arising out of bank’s sale of note secured by multi-million commercial real property collateral.
- Obtained summary judgment for bank following borrowers' default on loan agreement. Mr. Weininger also successfully recovered collateral held by borrowers by invoking various provisional remedies prior to entry of judgment.
- Represented purchasers of luxury custom-built, breach front home in Malibu in multi-party construction defect litigation matter under the Right to Repair Act involving substantial water intrusion problems and other issues. Obtained favorable monetary settlement for client that included reimbursement of all construction defect repair costs incurred.
- Represented real estate investor and developer against publicly-traded guarantors of multi-million real estate loan. The case settled on favorable terms for the client shortly before the hearing on a motion for summary judgment filed by Mr. Weininger.
- Represented numerous banks and lenders in special assets related litigation matters. Successfully obtained various provisional relief and judgments for lenders, including appointment of receivers (including receivership matters for hotels), attachment, levies and other provisional recovery of assets to protect collateral pending non-judicial and/or judicial foreclosure.
- Successfully represented construction lenders in numerous actions involving mechanic's liens and stop notice claims.
- Represented commercial real estate developer in action seeking specific performance of $200+ million land acquisition.
- Represented owner of luxury condominium tower located on The Wilshire Corridor in litigation involving numerous alleged residential construction defects.
- Represented international automotive company in real estate commission dispute. Mr. Weininger obtained a complete dismissal of the action against the client at the pleading stage, which included an award of attorneys' fees incurred.
- Successfully defeated copyright infringement and other claims filed against celebrity musician client.
- Represented national airport concessionaire in dispute with retailer concerning space in Los Angeles International Airport. Case settled on favorable terms for Mr. Weininger's client.
- Successfully represented brokers, broker-dealers and investment advisers in numerous NASD and FINRA consumer arbitrations.
J.D., Whittier Law School, 2001
summa cum laude (graduated 1st in full-time day class)
B.A., California State University, Long Beach, 1996
Awards & Recognition
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Gregory O'Brien, Los Angeles Superior Court, 1999
- Finalist, Saul Lefkowitz Trademark and Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition, Washington D.C., 2001