Burton A. MitchellPartner, Assistant Managing Partner
As chair of the Firm's Taxation and Trusts & Estates Groups, Burton Mitchell's practice, spanning more than 25 years, focuses on taxation, estate planning, trust law and administration, non-profit entities, asset preservation and tax-effective financial planning within the family.
Burton generally represents individuals, closely-held businesses, institutional trustees, partnerships, limited liability companies, entrepreneurs and other professionals.
Burton's relevant experience includes: estate planning, trust administration, probate and summary probate proceedings, estate tax returns and related tax matters; litigation and resolution of disputes involving wills, trusts and other testamentary instruments; family gifting, partnerships, limited liability companies, children's trusts and life insurance trusts; closely-held corporations, including formation, mergers and acquisitions, liquidations, redemptions, workouts and reorganizations; taxation of patent transfers; formation of and counsel to private foundations and other non-profit entities.
LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1978
J.D., Georgetown University, 1977
CPA, Maryland, 1975
B.B.A., City University of New York at Baruch College, 1974
summa cum laude
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization, Taxation Law, 1984
American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in Los Angeles Times Magazine: Southern California's Best Lawyers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America® 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Honoree, "Who's Who in LA Law—The Best of the Bar, The Standout Lawyer for Trusts and Estates," Los Angeles Business Journal, August 20, 2007
- Bylined article in the American Bar Association Journal 565 cited by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Powell's dissent in Dickman v Commissioner
- Recognized as one of Los Angeles Magazine's Southern California's Best Lawyers, 2012
- Recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer, 2013