Brennan C. SwainOf Counsel
Brennan Swain's practice emphasizes patent and trademark and copyright law, including prosecution, litigation and client counseling. In the patent field, he is particularly adept in the mechanical arts.
Having grown up in a family of engineers, Brennan was immersed in the mechanical arts at a young age. While working in his father's high tech coatings company throughout high school and college, he received hands on experience learning about the inner workings of many types of industrial machines and engines. In college, for his senior project, Brennan designed and built a small engine dynamometer for bench testing race car engines before they hit the track. Armed with this knowledge and his background in auto racing, Brennan is one of the few lawyers you will find who knows how to assemble an engine.
- Represented a world-renowned cardiologist and inventor in a patent infringement action against Boston Scientific Corp
- Litigation support lawyer in Medtronic v. Michelson, in which the client, Dr. Gary Michelson won $570 million after a multi-month jury trial in Memphis, Tennessee. The case was resolved as part of a $1.35 billion dollar acquisition of the Michelson patent portfolio, which the Los Angeles Times reported as the largest acquisition of patents in history
- Drafted and prosecuted over 300 patents and patent applications in a number of technological fields. For example, Brennan has secured patents for clients on the following: Medical devices and instruments; automotive components and applications; footwear and other apparel; internet applications; dispensable cups and lids; bicycle components (including hydraulic braking systems); business methods; heart rate monitors; lighting devices; watches; exercise devices and equipment; electronic sensors; fishing equipment and other sporting goods; packaging; children's toys
- Counsel for a small high-tech company drafting contracts, patent and trademark prosecution and product development
J.D., Regent University School of Law, 1996
B.S.M.E., Messiah College, 1993
Bar AdmissionsU.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Member, American Bar Association, Section on Intellectual Property Law
Member, New York State Bar Association, Section on Intellectual Property Law
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Awards & Recognition
- Captain, Lacrosse Team, Messiah College
- American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts and Property, Regent University School of Law