Andrew I. ShadoffAssociate
Andrew is an associate in the Firm’s Litigation department and a member of the Firm’s Appellate, Professional Liability Defense, and Patent Litigation Groups. A general commercial litigator, Andrew has prosecuted and defended a wide array of actions, including legal and actuarial malpractice cases, music royalty and copyright disputes, patent infringement cases, and commercial lease and contract actions. He represents clients in a variety of industries, from major record labels and international mining companies to national and regional law firms and other local California businesses.
Andrew is actively involved in every part of the litigation (and arbitration) process, representing his clients from pre-lawsuit investigation through trial and appeal (or settlement). Andrew has obtained judgments for his clients at summary judgment and after trial, and has authored multiple successful briefs in appeals before California’s Second District Court of Appeal.
- Successfully defended judgment after demurrer was sustained without leave to amend in wrongful foreclosure case.
- Successfully defended grant of summary judgment and awards of attorneys’ fees in Unruh Act/racial discrimination case.
- Harris v. Save the Queen, LLC, et al–affirming summary judgment
- Harris v. Save the Queen, LLC, et al–affirming award of attorneys’ fees
- Obtained reversals of denials of motions to compel arbitration in two professional negligence cases
- Second-chaired a federal jury trial on behalf of a pro bono client who had brought claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983. Conducted two direct examinations and two cross-examinations.
- Represented a national law firm against $200 million cross-claims for equitable indemnity and contribution, premised on alleged professional negligence relating to securities work. Resulted in a nominal settlement by our client.
- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of $10 million wrongful foreclosure and fraud lawsuit, as well as a judgment of attorney’s fees and costs against the plaintiff and its alter egos. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal.
- Won summary judgment and awards of attorneys’ fees, both of which orders were affirmed on appeal, on behalf of an event hosting facility in class action alleging claims of racial discrimination brought by plaintiffs under California's Unruh Act.
- Won summary judgment in arbitration on behalf of motorcycle racing company on breach of contract and related claims brought by former race team operator.
- Represented commercial aggregate company in prosecuting and defending various real property and mining rights disputes.
- Represented a mall parcel owner in action against mall for breach of CC&Rs through mediation, resulting in a settlement favorable to our client.
- Settled eminent domain lawsuit in connection with construction of light rail train route, which resulted in our client receiving significantly more than it had been offered as just compensation.
- Assisted Court-appointed Monitor in assessing compliance with Stipulated Injunction by precious metals company. Duties included monitoring sales calls, reviewing undercover test sales calls, evaluating eligibility of hundreds of claims for restitution made by former customers of the company, and analyzing company books and records regarding customer purchases.
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2010
magna cum laude
B.A., Duke University, 2007
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit