Louise Ann Fernandez, whose practice has spanned more than 25 years, is chairperson of JMBM's Labor & Employment Group. She advises employers in all aspects of labor and employment relations, and represents them in litigation. Her employment law practice also includes advocacy for high level executives and celebrities, corporate investigations, cybersecurity issues, and bet-the-company litigation. She has been recognized twice by the Daily Journal as one of the top Labor & Employment Attorneys in California (2010, 2013).
Labor Relations and Employment Counseling & Litigation
Louise Ann's traditional labor and employment practice emphasizes labor relations and employment counseling, employment litigation, sexual harassment and other employment discrimination, wrongful termination, wage and hour and other class actions, and unfair competition laws for companies and their owners. She counsels and advises employers in all aspects of employment relations including employee discipline, affirmative action, trade secrets issues, and wage and hour issues.
Experienced Trial Counsel
During her career, Louise Ann has acted as chief trial counsel in numerous employment cases in both State and Federal courts. She has briefed and argued dozens of labor law appeals in both the State and Federal courts including a hearing en banc before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal. Her ability to take litigation to trial benefits her clients at every stage of litigation and has made her a respected adversary in her field.
Advocacy for Executives
Louise Ann represents high level executives and celebrities in high stakes litigation involving issues that can damage hard-earned reputations and negatively impact the executives' companies. She is skilled in negotiating satisfactory settlements and in developing successful trial strategies. Her experience includes handling cases which garner extensive media coverage.
When a company's survival depends on the outcome of a lawsuit, or when one lawsuit puts many millions of dollars at stake, Louise Ann and her team are experienced in analyzing the risks, developing a successful trial strategy, and managing the crisis.
When issues of employee fraud, corruption, or corporate wrong-doing arise, Louise Ann is experienced in representing corporations, boards of directors, and executives in any related government investigations, internal investigations, enforcement actions, or administrative proceedings. She works closely with JMBM's white collar criminal defense attorneys, when needed.
Companies of all sizes are rightly concerned about protecting their customers' and employees' privacy – as well as protecting their trade secrets – from hackers. Louise Ann helps companies put hiring and employment policies in place, and develops training programs that help companies protect themselves against cyber threats.
- Lead trial attorney in all types of employment and other litigation including wrongful termination, trade secret, traditional labor, and wage and hour cases
- Successfully defended employers in the entertainment, manufacturing, consulting and banking industries in sexual harassment, employment discrimination and other employment claims in both state and federal courts
- Successfully defended and secured seven-figure awards for entertainment executives against false and malicious claims
- Experienced impartial investigator and expert witness with respect to all types of employment and discrimination claims including high level harassment claims and employee defalcation and fraud claims
J.D., George Washington University Law School, 1978
B.A., Stanford University, 1975
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California (Executive Committee, 1987-1989)
Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
American Bar Association
- Named as a "Super Lawyer," by Los Angeles Magazine in 2004 through 2017
- Listed in Super Lawyers as one of "The Top Women Attorneys in Southern California," 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Named by the Daily Journal as one of California Top Labor & Employment Lawyers, 2010, 2013
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law - Management, 2016-2018
- Appointed to the Board of Trustees for Pitzer College, 2018-2021