Ken Bovard's practice, which spans just over four decades, emphasizes commercial law and finance, asset-based lending, real estate secured transactions, sales and leasing of real property and personal property, corporate finance, consumer credit, and related financial transactions.
Ken has extensive experience in representing banks, commercial finance lenders, savings associations, mortgage bankers, and factors in financial transactions, licensing and regulatory matters. He also represents major motor vehicle manufacturers and their wholesale financing subsidiaries in distributorship and franchise matters, flooring financing, and retail financing transactions.
Ken represents creditors in all aspects of commercial finance transactions, including the creation, perfection and enforcement of security interests, and negotiating, structuring and documenting commercial loans, syndicated transactions, intercreditor agreements, and participation agreements. He handles problem loan workouts, restructuring of commercial loans, mixed collateral issues, default remedies, judicial and non judicial foreclosures, receiverships, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) sales and disposition of collateral following default, and bankruptcy strategies.
In addition to secured transactions under Article 9 of the UCC, he advises clients in all matters covered by the UCC, including sales of goods, negotiable instruments, banking operations, letters of credit, documents of title, control of securities, equipment leasing, and fund transfers.
Ken has business experience and a legal background that includes positions as general counsel to major financial institutions and President of a federal savings association. He is able to draw upon this unique blend of business and legal experience in providing exceptional service to his clients.Representative Experience
- Represented major banks and commercial finance lenders in asset-based and wholesale flooring financing transactions and workouts
- Past General Counsel to major financial institutions
- Manager of a large financial institution under FSLIC management consignment program
- Negotiated and closed multiple bank branch sales, including $400 million transaction involving collateralized mortgage obligations issued through finance subsidiary, and other complex asset/liability structures
- President and chief operating officer of federal savings association
- Conducted multi-state nationwide survey of revised UCC Article 9 for wholesale financing subsidiary of major motor vehicle and power products manufacturer and distributor
- Negotiated and documented acquisition and leases of multiple parcels of land in redevelopment project for development of motor vehicle dealership facility
- Advised out-of-state finance lender and factor entering California market on documentation and regulatory matters affecting doing business in California, and obtained commercial finance lender license
- Restructured fleet leasing and supply agreements for major motor vehicle manufacturer and distributor in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving major car rental companies
- Represented borrower in financing of leveraged recapitalization transaction
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1973
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1969
Former Chairman, Attorneys' Committee of Western League of Savings Institutions
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Financial Lawyers Conference