Jordi's clients benefit from his native Spanish and English capabilities (he is a dual citizen of Spain and the United States), as well as his negotiating and writing skills in both languages.
Jordi is a consummate multi-cultural, who has lived and worked for decades in Latin America while cultivating a significant mining practice. This practice is spearheaded by two related and equally vital legal disciplines:
- Conducting Effective Mining Legal Diagnoses
- Conducting Effective Diagnoses of Social Licenses to Operate
Jordi’s mining practice involves both domestic and Latin American endeavors.
Recent domestic work includes:
- assisting a privately-held company in obtaining financing to develop its high-purity selenite deposits totaling 350MM tons located in the southwestern United States
- creating a limited liability entity between two US junior gold mining companies to jointly exploit federal patented mining claims and state mining claims in the Willow Creek Mining District in Alaska
- assisting a privately-held gold exploration company in obtaining USD$9MM in new capital to assist in the development of its approximately 2MM ounces of measured and indicated gold reserves located in the Aura Mining District in Nevada
- conducting significant due diligence in connection with the mining titles, surface rights, and permitting issues associated with an intermediate precious metal royalty company’s interest in an operating California gold mine
Jordi’s expansive Latin American work includes the representation of companies in a wide variety of mining-related endeavors, including:
- mining project and properties acquisitions:
- planning, strategizing, supervising, negotiating and drafting all relevant documentation – in both Spanish and English – including mining leases, joint venture and operating agreements, option agreements, exploration and development agreements, and mine operating contracts
- serving as an effective liaison with financial institutions and investors on matters dealing with debt financing and related issues
- working closely with other (non-legal) in-house disciplines to effectively deal with all issues from initial stages though final acquisition
- negotiating all legal and transactional aspects of exploration, surface rights acquisition, permitting, development and production of base and precious metals
- handling myriad issues affecting the foreign operations of multinational mining companies, including:
- contract negotiation, drafting and management
- cross-border transactions
- domestic and foreign mergers & acquisitions and divestitures
- joint ventures and other business arrangements
- corporate governance, corporate law and corporate communications
- the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- international anti-corruption and transparency laws, standards and compliance
- diverse regulatory inspections, communications and compliance
- the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance efforts and filings
- US and foreign government investigations and due diligence
- US and international environmental policies, standards, regulations, permitting and good practices
Jordi has conducted legal diagnoses of numerous mining projects in Latin America. These diagnoses identify the legal risks faced by a mining company’s project, and have resulted in the savings of significant capital expenditures.Conducting An Effective Diagnosis of a Social License to Operate
Jordi has conducted diagnoses of the Social License to Operate (SLO) associated with numerous mining projects in Latin America. These SLO diagnoses define the social risks and challenges faced by a mining company’s project, and the issues that matter to the communities affected by the project.Career Highlights
- Completed the effective negotiation of a peaceful settlement in a South American country – in an extremely volatile situation – among a junior Canadian gold mining company and various stakeholders, including an indigenous community, a paramilitary group, illegal miners, local government representatives and non-governmental entities (NGOs);
- Developed and consummated a unique and effective strategy for a Canadian gold junior mining exploration company to acquire an in-country mining company, in lieu of the in-country mining company’s interests themselves, given the reticence of the Latin American country in question to effectuate the transfer of mining interests.
- Served as Country General Counsel for Barrick Gold Corporation in Peru, responsible for all legal matters in connection with the lowest cost per ounce gold mine in history (the Pierina Gold Project), from the initial acquisition of mining rights through the commencement of production.
- Negotiated, structured and drafted all documentation, in both Spanish and English, associated with dozens of exploration, option, joint venture and other business arrangements, as well as all major gold mining agreements in connection with AngloGold Ashanti Ltd.’s significant operations in Colombia.
J.D., University of Utah College of Law
B.A., University of Utah, Spanish & French
State of Utah
Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
Member, Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration
- Completely bilingual in Spanish and English on a professional level
- Fluent in Catalán and French
- Conversational in Portuguese and Italian
- Why Multinational Mining Companies Need to Perform Effective Legal Diagnoses for their Latin American Operations (and how to go about it) A multinational mining company with operations in one or more Latin American countries – countries with diverse cultures and widely different
- How Mining Companies Can Achieve an Effective "Social License to Operate" in Latin America – Part 3 Effective Diagnosis for Mining Companies to Achieve a Social License to Operate: Who should perform the diagnosis? What to do after the investigation?