E. Barry Haldeman is Of Counsel to Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP. With many years of experience, Barry's practice focuses on representing actors, directors, writers, producers, authors, independent films and production companies in all areas of the entertainment industry, including all types of talent agreements and agreements relating to the production, financing, distribution, sale and acquisition of motion pictures and literary rights. He has represented Academy Award® winners and nominees at the highest level, as well as newcomers to the business. He is one of a handful of entertainment attorneys who have experience working both inside a studio and negotiating against studios.Representative Experience
- Served as Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs for the Motion Picture Group at Paramount Pictures supervising the Feature Motion Picture Business Affairs and Legal Departments; during that time he was also involved in the creation of the Paramount Classics division (which became Paramount Vantage) and in setting-up its deal templates and practices.
- Represented Academy Award winning producer/actor/director in the sale of his independently financed film to a major U.S. Distributor.
- Represented First Dollar Gross Actor in negotiation of three different actor/producer agreements for pictures with combined world-wide box office grosses exceeding $1.2 billion.
- Represented First Dollar Gross Director in negotiation of motion picture project requiring accommodation of several gross and adjusted gross participants.
- Represented highly successful business motivational speaker in negotiation with major corporation regarding design and presentation of business course tailored to the corporation and collateral rights related to the course.
- Represented multi-million dollar writer in connection with negotiation of agreement to adapt best-selling book to screen.
- Represented producer/production company in connection with their license of domestic distribution rights in a proposed film to a major distributor, in return for a substantial advance against the budget and a back-end participation; foreign rights were retained.
- Represented well-known surfing personality in connection with the negotiation of consultation agreement/rights grant to major cable network.
- Represented multi national corporation in the negotiation of product placement and promotional deals for major motion pictures.
- Participated in supervising numerous audits of studio records on behalf of participants.
- Advised human resources and compensation committee of major media company regarding terms of executive compensation agreement.
- Guest columnist for the Malibu Times and Los Angeles Daily Journal writing on Entertainment Industry issues.
- Supervised Production Legal and acted as business affairs executive for numerous motion pictures.
- Represented one of rights holders in multi-million dollar sale to major production company of sequel rights in blockbuster motion picture.
- Represented actors in negotiations regarding series and reality shows.
- Represented various producers in negotiation of acquisition of life rights from individuals, motion picture rights to books and optioning of scripts.
- Represented well-known skateboarding personality in negotiation of branding agreement.
- Represented major clothing manufacturer in negotiation with network of possible reality show.
- Represented supermodels in negotiation of branding agreement for accessory line.
J.D., UCLA School of Law
A.B., University of California, Los Angeles
LA Copyright Society
American Film Institute
Beverly Hills Bar Association; Member, Entertainment Section
Founding and Continuing Board Member, UCLA Entertainment Symposium
The annual event was cited as a key event for top executives and lawyers by the Hollywood Reporter in July, 2012
Member of Advisory Committee since inception
Two-time past program coordinator
Co-Chair, "Superstar Actor, Writer, Director, Producer Deals" for 2007 symposium and "Independence Day - Opportunities & Challenges for Inde Film in a Dramatically Changing World" for 2010 Symposium
Co-Chair, "Independence Day - Opportunities & Challenges for Inde Film in a Dramatically Changing World" for 2010 Symposium
Co-chair, “Distribution Revolution—How it Affects Every Deal you Do” for 2012 Symposium
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating