Rachel M. CapocciaPartner
- Lead patent litigation counsel for Panasonic Corp. and JVC in multidistrict litigation in the D.C. District Court involving a nonpracticing entity's patents related to multipurpose interface devices for connecting analog devices seamlessly with a computer using digital cameras and camcorders.
- Representing Amazon.com and Panasonic Corporation in patent infringement litigation against a nonpracticing entity in E.D. Texas involving portable, wireless thin clients and server technology.
- Representing a leading global developer of electronic commodities trading software in a series of patent infringement litigation matters in N.D. Illinois involving electronic trading software patents.
- Patent litigation counsel for MySpace and AOL in patent infringement litigation in E.D. Texas involving software for enhancing Internet security for large network systems.
- Patent litigation counsel for Dow Jones in a patent infringement matter in C.D. California relating to realtime Internet news updating services.
- Represented St. Jude Medical in patent infringement litigation in C.D. California involving patents regarding systems for imaging the electrical activity in a patient's heart using internal catheters.
- Represented HewlettPackard Company in several patent infringement matters throughout the country against a competitor in areas such as computer aided design software, VLSI chip design and image processing systems.
- Represented Polycom, Inc., in patent litigation against a competitor in E.D. Texas involving patents related to video encoding and decoding.
- Represented a biotechnology startup company at an arbitration involving the ownership and inventorship of a number of patents developed during ajoint venture to develop peptide compounds for the treatment of anemia and other blood disorders.
- Represented Stamps.com in patent infringement litigation against Pitney Bowes regarding patents for Internet postage technology and encryption systems.
- Represented Shimano, Inc., in several patent infringement matters against its competitors related to a variety of bicycle technology.
- Represented major motion picture studio in copyright litigation relating to alleged infringement by motion picture of a book and screenplay (resulted in judgment of no substantial similarity on the pleadings).
- Represented major motion picture studio in copyright litigation with the owners of the underlying characters on which a motion picture and several sequels were based.
- Represented The Home Depot in a copyright infringement matter brought by the Black Keys related to use of original music in commercial advertisements.
- Confidential counseling of multiple hi-tech clients regarding copyrightability, fair use, and substantial similarity issues related to software copyrights
- Represented freelance photographers in copyright litigation related to the publication and distribution of National Geographic’s DVD product.
- Defended an internet search engine in litigation involving trademark infringement and misappropriation regarding the use of plaintiff’s marks during the operation of the search process.
J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 1995
B.S., Rochester Institute of Technology, 1984
USC Intellectual Property Planning Committee
Los Angeles County Bar Foundation Board of Directors
California State Bar - Intellectual Property Section