Julia J. RiderOf Counsel
Julia Rider has 35 years of experience as a litigator in a wide variety of practice areas include securities fraud class actions, complex tort actions, professional liability, employment practices, insurance coverage and financial institution related actions.
- Represented defendants in San Juan Dupont Plaza Hotel fire litigation which involved wrongful death and multiple product liability claims arising from a fire which killed 98
people. The multi-district litigation case was tried in Puerto Rico. Won a major motion
regarding insurance coverage which facilitated settlement.
- Represented a major life insurance company in a securities fraud class action, and secured a settlement primarily funded by comprehensive general liability, directors and officers liability and fidelity bond insurance.
- Represented accounting firms in actions alleging malpractice, securing favorable settlements
- Represented defendants in a securities fraud class action arising from the sale of Med Cap promissory notes.
- Represented a defendant in a securities fraud class action arising from the bankruptcy of a major aggregate production company. The case settled just before the class certification motion was heard, a settlement funded by insurance.
- Represented the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in a variety of actions arising from the collapse of savings and loan associations and banks.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in fraudulent transfer claims against major commodities futures advisors and brokers in connection with a Ponzi scheme involving precious metals.
More about me on the Women Lawyers of JMBM page.
J.D., University of California Los Angeles, School of Law, 1975
A.B., University of California, Berkeley, 1969
Phi Beta Kappa
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
American Bar Association—Litigation and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections
Awards & Recognition
- Article Editor, UCLA Law Review, 1974-1975
- Mortar Board, University of California, Berkeley, 1969