Joel J. BermanPartner
Joel Berman's practice, spanning more than 30 years, includes general business, corporate and commercial law.
Joel assists business owner clients in preparing for, implementing and completing sales and other capital events, such as equity capital raises and borrowings.
As co-chair of the Financial Services Group, Joel is a discerning specialist in secured transactions with an emphasis on asset-based lending, creditors' remedies and loan workouts. In addition, Joel has extensive experience representing all types of lenders and also represents parties in structuring and implementing mergers and acquisitions.
Joel's work principally involves acting as general and strategic counsel for small- and middle- market companies; negotiating stock and asset acquisitions; structuring and documenting all elements of financial transactions, including revolving and term loan agreements, subordinated and senior debt transactions, syndicated transactions, leveraged buyouts, loans secured by all types of collateral, agency, participation and intercreditor agreements, equipment leases and letter of credit facilities; and exercising all forms of creditor's remedies.
In addition to his transactional experience, Joel has extensive experience in conducting and supervising commercial litigation in the state and bankruptcy courts. Joel has been the lead attorney in charge of workouts involving personal property, real property, mixed collateral and unsecured loans for national banks, community banks, mortgage companies, financial institutions, manufacturers and other business entities.
- Sales of aerospace and defense companies with purchase prices ranging from $10 million to $35 million
- Origination and exercise of default remedies for lender of secured trust deed commercial loan
- Origination and amendment of syndicated credit facilities
- Sale of stock of retail appliance stock chain for $410 million
- Sale of glass fabricator for $40 million
- Purchases for private equity groups of service and manufacturing businesses
- Restructuring for lead lender of $100 million syndicated revolving and term loan and letter of credit facility
- Sale of fashion nail manufacturer for $10 million
- Sale of infusion pharmacy for $13 million
- Ongoing outside general counsel for electronics distributor, private equity groups, software developers, purchaser of defaulted notes, provider of residential and day-care services for the developmentally disabled, real estate lenders and developers, specialty pharmacy and medical practices
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1979
A.B., Harvard College, 1976
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of Central District of California
- Member, UCC Committee of Business Section of California State Bar, 2001-04
- Member, Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Commercial Law, Bankruptcy and Real Property Sections, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Financial Lawyers Conference
- Leader, "The Twenty Five" Business Network Group, 2009-present
- Host, LA Provisors “Century City 2” Business Network Group, 1993-present
- Board of Directors of Camp Ramah in California, 2008-present; Member of Executive Committee
- Board of Directors, JVS Vocational Services, 2013-present; Chair, Business Enterprise Committee
- Board of Directors, C5 Youth Foundation of Southern California, 2015-present; Member of Governance and Legal Committee
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow, American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyer, as designated by Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazines, 2004, 2006-2015, (Business Edition, 2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Preeminent Rating
- Eagle Scout