Dennis J. WhitePartner
Dennis White has developed his corporate, real estate and secured lending practices over a period of more than 30 years. Dennis specializes in representing lenders in making real estate construction, acquisition, and development loans, including representation of both agents and member banks in large syndicated credits. He has extensive experience with new construction loans for hotels, golf courses, office buildings, and multi-family residential projects.
In addition to structuring and documenting loan originations, Dennis also has extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in workouts and loan restructures.
A large part of Dennis's practice includes real estate purchases and sales, commercial leases, ground leases, related title insurance issues and complex easement transactions for private developers, as well as specialized real estate transaction representation for several major mining companies in California.
- 2015 ─ Represented a major institutional lender in making a $41 million construction loan for a boutique hotel in West Hollywood, California.
- 2008-2016 ─ Represented several different national banks and other lending institutions in connection with complex loan restructures, forbearance agreements, disengagements, deeds-in-lieu, and real property foreclosures, both in connection with single lender loans and member banks of large syndicated loans, involving all types of real estate and personal property security, and including leasehold deed of trust financing, letters of credit, shopping centers, land development, single family and multi-family residential development, and condominium development, including sales of REO.
- 2004-2016 ─ Extensive experience representing several different major construction materials mining companies in connection with real estate transactional needs, including extensive work with complex easements, adverse possession and prescriptive easement issues, and transfers of mineral estates, including advice in connection with operating and licensing agreements for mining operations.
- 2011 ─ Represented the loan servicer in a note-splitting transaction pertaining to a securitized loan secured by several convenience store/gas stations in California.
- 2007 ─ Represented California State Automobile Association Inter Insurance Bureau in the sale and leaseback of its corporate headquarters in San Francisco, as well as a lease/purchase option transaction for its new corporate office facilities in Pleasant Hill, CA.
- 1998-2004 ─ Represented, as lead counsel, the Administrative Agent and Arranger in connection with the following syndicated loans: a $42 million construction loan for a luxury hotel in Santa Monica, California; a $40 million construction loan for a four-star resort hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona; a $44 million construction loan for an apartment complex in Fremont, California; phased construction loans totaling $63 million for a two-phase multifamily project in Santa Clarita, California; a $101 million senior construction loan for a resort hotel in Tucson, Arizona; a $75 million servicer A-B construction loan for a convention center hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada; a $30 million term loan for a hotel in Garden Grove, California; a $30 million senior construction loan for a mixed-use condominium and historic tax credit project in Kansas City, Missouri; a $13.5 million mezzanine and $29 million senior mortgage loan for a luxury hotel in Arizona; and a $56 million term loan refinance for a shopping center in Oregon.
- 1995-2001 ─ Represented, as lead counsel, a major bank in connection with the following loans: a $65 million construction loan for a four-star hotel in Carlsbad, California; a $40 million acquisition and rehabilitation loan for an office park in Cupertino, California; a $24 million construction loan for an historic hotel rehabilitation in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and a $24 million construction loan for a boutique hotel in Cupertino, California.
- 1992-2002 ─ Served as special counsel for a major bank in connection with the following syndicated loans: as a co-lead bank participation in a five-bank, $108.5 million construction loan to a bankrupt borrower, and repayment of the loan through proceeds of tax-exempt redevelopment bonds partially enhanced by the bank's letter of credit; and as Administrative Agent for a $72 million construction loan for a mixed-use development in Denver, Colorado.
- 2001 ─ Represented a private lender in a workout settlement and deed-in-lieu transfer of a $44 million multi-use downtown San Francisco office building.
- 2001 ─ Represented a private lender in connection with $6.2 million acquisition financing for an employee acquisition of equity interests in a power plant and related power purchase contracts in California.
- 1990s ─ Represented a Swedish conglomerate in various California investments, including a $30 million industrial land acquisition in West Sacramento, a downtown Sacramento office property development and an agricultural processing venture.
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1975
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1974
B.A., Stanford University, 1967
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
American Bar Association - Business Law and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
State Bar of California - Business Law and Real Property Law Sections
Vice Chairman, Fair Campaign Practices Commission, City of Berkeley, California
Former Governor, California Trout, Inc.
Lt. (jg), U.S. Coast Guard, 1967-70
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Northern California "Super Lawyer," Real Estate, 2004, 2006, 2008-2014, (Business Edition, 2014)