David B. SternPartner
David has over 30 years of experience in litigation and transactional law for media and entertainment companies involved in film, television, stage and new media. With over 20 years experience as a General Counsel or legal and business affairs executive at companies such as News Corp., Viacom, New Wave Entertainment and Broadway Across America, he has a keen understanding of the needs of in-house counsel and, conversely, how outside counsel can best assist a client.
David has negotiated corporate mergers and acquisitions both in and out of the media sector, arranged and restructured corporate finance, overseen all manner of development and production agreements for film, television and stage, handled production, finance and distribution agreements, network license fee deals, sponsorship agreements, and set up an interactive broadband game on behalf of an internet start up with MTV Networks. David has appeared on ABC's World News with Diane Sawyer and Nightline as well as Daily Journal.com, and has been quoted in the Hollywood Reporter, Variety, and other publications about controversies in the entertainment arena, and David has lectured and advised clients on the chain of title and copyright termination issues.
As a civil litigator, David has represented major record companies, movie studios, television networks and financiers in matters ranging from copyright and intellectual property to business tort, commercial actions and antitrust claims.
- Negotiated numerous mergers & acquisitions, including arrangement of equity financing, senior and subordinated mezzanine financing, negotiation of stock purchase agreements and competitive bidding processes
- Oversaw the legal team responsible for the acquisition of a media company through the first joint venture between Rupert Murdoch and John Malone
- Negotiated network license fees and all manner of production agreements for scripted and reality television shows at New Wave Entertainment
- Handled legal aspects of the development and production of Broadway shows and first-class touring musicals at Broadway Across America
- Handled complex intellectual property (copyright, trademark and patent) litigation, including the Diamonds trade name case, Ghostbusters II music copyright litigation, Helltown theft of idea litigation, and trademark infringement (injunction and U.S. Marshall seizure) proceedings
- Aramid Investment Fund
- CBS Television Studios
- Champion Real Estate Company
- Crest Digital
- Crossroads Media Inc.
- Key Brand Entertainment
- Kiosk Solutions
- Marina Hospital
- Naxos Capital Partners SCA
- OddLot Entertainment
- Patriot Environmental Services
- Westridge Capital LLC
J.D., Columbia University, 1982
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
B.A., Connecticut College, 1979
summa cum laude