An Nguyen RudaPartner
An Nguyen Ruda is a Partner in the Firm's Labor & Employment department. An's practice includes litigation, advice and counseling, and administrative matters. An has tried administrative matters before the Labor Commissioner. An recently participated as an integral member of a trial team, which tried a complex and novel labor dispute in the federal court against one of the most powerful labor unions in the country. An's practice philosophy is to develop long term relationships and to provide efficient, effective and quality representation to clients--neither to over-litigate or under-litigate any matter.
- In 2012, represented hospital and hospital system in a wrongful termination action filed by a physician and obtained judgment on the pleadings and dismissal by anti-SLAPP motion.
- In 2012, obtained Summary Judgment on the issue of whether out-of-state paychecks issued to employees violates Labor Code Section 212 and Business and Professions Code 17200.
- In 2012, obtained binding arbitration award against former plaintiff and counsel for breach of a settlement agreement. Specific performance, liquidated damages, and attorneys fees and costs awarded to client. Award confirmed at trial court level.
- In 2012, obtained denial of class certification on class of non-exempt employees on unpaid overtime, waiting time, and Labor Code Section 226 claims.
- In 2012, obtained favorable settlement of split shift, minimum wage and other claims against restaurant chain.
- In 2011, obtained six figure recovery for client in arbitration on a cross-claim.
- In 2011, successfully defended celebrity sued by nanny for unpaid overtime.
- In 2010, obtained nuisance settlement of FACTA case where client's e-commerce exposure exceeded $100 million.
- In 2009, won summary judgment on behalf of individual defendant sued on a retaliation claim.
- In 2009, won summary adjudication of punitive damages resulting in settlement of high exposure discrimination case.
- In 2008, on trial team of complex labor dispute involving one of the largest labor unions in the country tried in the Southern District of New York.
- First-chaired 2005 defense judgment in bench trial for City of Orinda in U.S. District Court (Northern District) real property litigation involving 14th Amendment Equal Protection issues.
- First-chaired 2003 defense judgment in bench trial for Whole Foods in Alameda County Superior Court on a breach of contract claim.
- Drafted winning motion for summary judgment and responding brief affirmed in 2006 by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on whether Rowland v. Christian duty requires railroads to fence their rights-of-way.
- Abboud v. Union Pacific R.R. Co., 2006 WL 147725 (9th Cir. 2006)(non-published).
- Cohn v. Contra Costa Health Services Department and City of Orinda, 2005 WL 2171804 (N.D. Cal. 2005).
More about me on the Women Lawyers of JMBM page.
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2001
magna cum laude
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1997
with highest honors
Bar AdmissionsU.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California